4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HOW TO: Adjust your clutch w/out a clutch adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

Default HOW TO: Adjust your clutch w/out a clutch adjuster

i did not write the fallowing. i just cut n pasted it. i wish i would have found this a couple of years ago!!!

how to adjust your clutch without an adjuster (and no not by lifting the pedal)....this REALLY adjusts it/works!!

This article will hopefully explain how to easily adjust the stock clutch in your Mustang. Many people think that all they can do is use the self-adjust mechanism as described in the owner’s manual and then live with that, or else buy an aftermarket adjustable clutch cable or some other device. Well, that is not exactly true, since the stock clutch setup is completely adjustable so the clutch can be made to release or engage at any point in the pedal travel. Reasons you might want to adjust the clutch: [*] Clutch is getting worn out[*] Clutch pedal has a "dead" or "mushy" feeling to the first part of the travel[*] Difficulty shifting (shifter doesn’t move freely, or gears clash, etc)[*] Just a preference to set the clutch engagement point where you want it Obviously each of these reasons can be due to other problems, but since this is a "no cost" modification, you might consider trying it first. For safety, I strongly recommend that you spend the time getting to know how the clutch and the adjustment mechanism work, so that you will really understand what you are doing. Also, any clutch adjustment should be performed with the engine turned off, transmission in neutral, and the parking brake firmly set. There are two ways to adjust the clutch, depending on the reason you are adjusting it in the first place. The standard procedure called out in your owner’s manual is to pull the clutch pedal back toward the driver’s seat. Sometimes this is referred to as "lifting" the clutch pedal since it is usually done with the toe of your shoe while you sit in the seat. This activates the self-adjusting mechanism and is generally fine for most people and is the procedure to use as the clutch wears normally. The second method is the one most performance enthusiasts would probably want to consider, as it allows the clutch to be adjusted so it releases/engages wherever you desire for your particular driving style. This is one of those jobs that can literally be a pain in the neck if you really want to understand how the stock clutch adjustment mechanism works, since you have to look up under the dash from the throttle pedal’s point of view. But, the actual adjustment can easily be done kneeling next to the car and reaching under the dash once you know the method, this is especially good if you are like me and don't fit under the dash very well. Now, it is important to understand the basics. Viewed from the driver’s seat, the brake pedal is between the clutch pedal and the throttle pedal. However, looking under the hood you will notice that the clutch cable goes through the "firewall" between the brake booster and the throttle cable.
This picture is taken from the radio’s point of view, looking toward the driver’s side of the car. The dash is removed in this photo along with all of the interior trim that would normally be visible from this angle. It shows the steering shaft (goldish colored), clutch and brake pedals (black - hanging down in the center of the picture). So to the right of the picture is the "firewall" (forward in the car) and to the left would be the driver’s seat. Although the picture does not show the complete quadrant assembly, studying it should help you understand the mechanism. (I found this in the "random pictures from the past" pile in a drawer and hopefully it is good enough, as I really don’t feel like taking the dash apart to get a better picture for this article. If someone has a better picture, feel free to submit it to the Corral and it will be added.) The clutch pedal is solidly connected to the shaft that comes through the top center of the picture. This shaft is also solidly connected to the steel arm that extends forward and holds the small ratchet mechanism seen in the upper right of the picture (with a clip holding the ratchet to a small shaft on the
steel arm). Ignore everything else for a moment and just think about what happens when you push the clutch pedal. The pedal moves to the right in this picture, causing the shaft in the top of the picture to rotate counterclockwise, causing the small ratchet mechanism assembly to rotate upward. Once you understand that, then the rest will be easier to follow. Now would be a good time to define exactly what this "quadrant" thing is that people talk about. A quadrant is just ¼ of a circle. It is the light colored part of this clutch ratchet mechanism that is in the top center of this picture (actually appears to be more like 1/3 of a circle). It has little teeth on its perimeter and is held onto the clutch pedal shaft by the clip that is visible. However, the quadrant is floating on the shaft, as it is not splined to the shaft and does not directly have to rotate with the shaft (this is a very important part of understanding how the mechanism works). The clutch cable comes through the "firewall" and attaches to the top of the quadrant, in much the same way that the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body. (Unfortunately this section of the quadrant is out of view above the picture.) Again, think about what happens when you push the clutch pedal. The small ratchet mechanism assembly on the right rotates upward. This small ratchet mechanism has teeth that are meshed with the quadrant’s teeth, causing the quadrant to rotate counterclockwise, pulling the clutch cable. If you have difficulty visualizing all of the motion from the picture and this description, then it may be worthwhile at this point to look at it in your car and push the pedal by hand so you can watch what happens. Now, let’s look at the two actual adjustment methods. [font="arial,helvetica"][size="-1"]The first method is the one described in the owner’s manual. If you pull the clutch pedal back toward the driver’s seat, you will be r
Old 05-24-2008, 01:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: HOW TO: Adjust your clutch w/out a clutch adjuster

This has been around for years, I'm surprised you missed it. [/align][/align]I used this method for 6 months or so just aftet getting my '03 and it does make the clutch feel much nicer. The problem I had (and what finnaly pushed me to spend the piddly $45 it cost for the U{R triple hook and quickclick adjuster)was that I had to do it once a week or so because the OEM ratchet would slip every now and then.[/align][/align]There is a reference to this in the article, and also mention of bending the pawl release tab out of the way disabling the semi-automatic adjuster. I never did this but it looks as though doing so would make it hold the manual setting better.[/align]
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Topdog922
1st Gear Member

Default RE: HOW TO: Adjust your clutch w/out a clutch adjuster

i tried that, mine slips off all the time back to the stock setting (all the way out) so im just gonna buy a bbk clutch adjuster and cable.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:48 PM
jqualls04GT

i don't see anywhere that it tells you how to adjust it the 2nd way
Old 08-07-2010, 05:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by jqualls04GT
i don't see anywhere that it tells you how to adjust it the 2nd way
That's because instead of just posting a link the OP felt it was necessary to cut-and-paste the original text, all run together, and thus making it unreadable.

Here's a link to the original "how-to" on corral.net...
Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 PM
jqualls04GT

thanks, I found that link too. Either my clutch is new or it is old. I can't seem to turn the quadrant either way when the hook is lifted and clutch pressed, and i dont see/feel a tab that allows auto adjust
Old 08-09-2010, 03:24 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Your '04 has the same mechanism. you will just need to fiddle with it 'til you get the knack.

When you do the manual adjustment you press on the pedal and then while holding the hook in position by pressing it upward you release the pedal--it's not trying to turn the quadrant, but just not letting it turn while releasing the pedal.

Once you get the "trick" it will take less than 5 seconds to do...
Old 12-15-2010, 11:34 PM
darkemp

does any one have a picture of the spring on the pawl? mine is missing, lol previous owner drilled screws and some really complicated redneck fix. i just toothed all the plastic teeth and i realized theres a spring on the back and i can fabricate one if i knew what it looked like.

HELP!