4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

hesitation under Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Racing2fast
1st Gear Member

Default hesitation under Acceleration

ok, this is what I have

2000 Mustang Gt 5speed with COP, CAI, Exhaust, and Dyno Tune Xcal2 w/ 93 performance tune.

While in neutral or at a stop the car rev's normally. No issues or misses.
I can put in gear and proceed to accelerate and it feels like the T/C is engaging, but I am not spinning the tires, or even getting close to breaking them loose. Even at 40mph, I can down shift to second, and slowly start to accelerate and you can feel the car jerking and all of a sudden it'll take on off. Seems like when the RPMs are higher the car doesnt stumble. Same @ 40 and shifting back into 3rd and slowly accelerating it will have a jerky/hesitation issue. It's not every time but maybe atleast 2-3 times out of 5. I changed the plugs the other night and have checked that everything is connected, and the coils are connected, MAF is plugged up. I drove it last night no issues, drove it about 10miles picked up my daughter, and on the way home she started acting a little funny.

Any ideas? I would swear it's a plug issue but the fact that I JUST changed them, has me leaning towards something else. No "check engin light" is on at this point.

Any ideas?

tHANKS
Tom
Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

Default RE: hesitation under Acceleration

thats really weird, how many miles on the clutch?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:52 PM
vermontstang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Racing2fast

ok, this is what I have

2000 Mustang Gt 5speed with COP, CAI, Exhaust, and Dyno Tune Xcal2 w/ 93 performance tune.

While in neutral or at a stop the car rev's normally. No issues or misses.
I can put in gear and proceed to accelerate and it feels like the T/C is engaging, but I am not spinning the tires, or even getting close to breaking them loose. Even at 40mph, I can down shift to second, and slowly start to accelerate and you can feel the car jerking and all of a sudden it'll take on off. Seems like when the RPMs are higher the car doesnt stumble. Same @ 40 and shifting back into 3rd and slowly accelerating it will have a jerky/hesitation issue. It's not every time but maybe atleast 2-3 times out of 5. I changed the plugs the other night and have checked that everything is connected, and the coils are connected, MAF is plugged up. I drove it last night no issues, drove it about 10miles picked up my daughter, and on the way home she started acting a little funny.

Any ideas? I would swear it's a plug issue but the fact that I JUST changed them, has me leaning towards something else. No "check engin light" is on at this point.

Any ideas?

tHANKS
Tom
I have the same exact issue I posted about it and a lot of people says its the cai and the turbulant air hitting the maf.
Ive yet to figure it out.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:36 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

I'm thinking it could be a fuel filter, but i may be wrong.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:39 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

+ 1 on the possibility of a bad fuel filter.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM
TheCrimzonKnight
3rd Gear Member

bad ignition coil thats what was wrong with mine
Old 05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
vermontstang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackWidow00GT

Doesn't that throw a misfire code though?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:00 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vermontstang

ORIGINAL: BlackWidow00GT

Doesn't that throw a misfire code though?
No.
I replaced mine because of a hesitation problem at around 12-1500 RPM and it never threw a code.
After I replaced them it ran a ton better and it had more power becasue it ran like it should.
Lynn
Old 05-26-2008, 07:14 PM
bt1288
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the COP. Same issues here. No cel. Replaced all the COP's since they had almost 100k on them, now it runs like new.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Racing2fast
1st Gear Member

Shoot, I didnt think about this, I wonder if it's BAD GAS, I did fuel up on the way out to get my daughter. It was in the hood, but it was a Shell Station, and 93 at that. Whopping 4.01 a gallon. It didnt do it at all until after this last fuel up. I didnt have to drive it but about a mile or two after fueling up. Picked her up, and as I took back off she started hesitating under stronger acceleration. Im wondering if the gas is bad, since the car is set up on 93, with the custom tune, having the timing maxed out and more aggressive then he typically sets it up.

the car has 140k on it,and I'd bet my *** the stock fuel filter is still being used! When i picked the car up a few weeks ago I changed everything but the fuel filter.

I changed the oil/filter, tranny, differential fluid, coolant flush, power steering, brake fluid. Car wasnt running bad, so I waited a bit before checking the plugs, and the fuel filter never crossed my mind... How Stupid![:@]

Quick Reply: hesitation under Acceleration