4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stick or Auto, Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Stick or Auto, Advice please!

Man you guys are killing me...that definetaly what i was hoping you guys wouldn't say, lol. If I never drove stick before isn't it true that I won't really know what I'll be missing? Its just that the auto has 15k miles lessand its black, that's what's really holding me back. I appreciate all of your input and more input would be great

Thanks a bunch to everyone!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

just get the one you want!!!!! id rather have a stick but after driving 80+ miles a day in mostly stop and go traffic id much rather be driving a auto as my daily driver! + a built auto will run more consistantly than a 5 speed and the low miles and the color you want should be a no brainer for you i think you all ready have your car picked out just go and buy it now!!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

I am getting rid of my auto for a stick. Buy a stick!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Yeah true though an auto may be better for the 1/4 mile esp. once the transmission has been built but for everyday driving 5 speed imo.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

dont get me wrong i love my stick just it blows in stop and go traffic...
Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I just recently bought my first car, an 04 GT. I took one or two lessons of stick beause I didn't know anyone who drove it. So far I've driven about 300 mileswith it and I have it all down. I'm so glad I bought stick.

You gotta get a 5speed, it's a Mustang!

If you are not happy with the mileage and color with the stick mustang then I would be patient and wait. I've been looking for the one I wanted for over 5 months. I wanted an 03-04 (perfer 04) black/black GT premium with leather and low miles. I thought I would never find one. Well I finally did, I had to buy it from carmax and even had to pay $550 have it shipped from Texas, but I got it. It was also a one owner vechicle with 26,750 miles on it. Good things come to people who wait.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:18 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

By the way is it just my computer or does this forum have a problem showing apostrophes?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

i didn't really care when i bought my car, i was looking for the best deal i could get, mines an auto, but with a little mods and a good tune, i'm barking 315's between gears! now tell me thats not cool!! plus i was so sick of driving a stick in atlanta traffic!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

I've got an automatic on my 95 GT. Its got a shift kit, stall converter, and 4:10's. It runs just as fast if not faster than some manual Mustangs I see at the track. Plus it is consistent. The downside, it is not really that fun.My 87 Acura Legend is funner with 5-speed[:@]just way slower
Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

OP, I'll tell you this. Keep in mind this is only MY opinion. Stock New Edge auto's are slow. Slower than their 5spd counterparts anyway. Without having the ability to fluctuate RPM's out of the hole they are dogs until they're rolling and by that time it's too late. They're not like an LS1 F-body that are equal if not quicker optioned with the auto. Usually I would just tell you to drive both but considering the fact that you can't as of now drive a manual that would accomplish squat. If you go with the auto and want to run decently fast you'll need to lighten your wallet a bit to get it to answer the bell. That or 3.73's in the manual. Once you learn how to drive a manualdrive both and make up your own mind. If you want my opinion a manual is the only way to go but not necessarilly because they're faster. Built auto's in monster motored cars dominate the track, that is indisputable. You'll either feel it instantly or you won'tand if you don't I think an auto will suit your needs much better. Good luck on your purchase...

Quick Reply: Stick or Auto, Advice please!