4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking at a GT...best fuel economy and winter driving??

Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Landcruisin60

Default Looking at a GT...best fuel economy and winter driving??

Just got back from looking at a 2002 GT 5 speed manual with 39,000 for $12,000. I think it sounds like a good deal. Comes with a Flowmaster cat back (that sounds wicked) and a K&N CAI. I've tried searching (which is a pain trying to search through Google) and I've seen reports of over 30mpg from some people. I have a 50mile round trip all highway to and from work and I think I am responsible enough to keep my foot off the skinny pedal to maximize fuel economy. So I'm curious what peoples best MPG have been with the 4.6 GT? My other concern is winter driving. I live in VT and I have a Subaru right now so I've been toying with the idea of keeping it only as a winter car, but I'd rather not. How do the Mustangs do in snow? I sometimes have to go out before the plows have been through which is no problem for the Subi and the AWD but how would the Mustang deal with it?

I just test drove it today and boy between the power and the sound I want it, but there are just a few questions that need to be figured out first.

Thanks!

I hope this is in the right place...but I'm a newb so you never know...
Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 PM
gtstang99
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at a GT...best fuel economy and winter driving??

Well, if you want fuel economy and the ability to drive in the winter, you don't want a GT. Sorry, that's the honest truth. If you are very good and it's all highway, you could get maybe 28mpg, but that's pushing it. Also, you could get some good Blizzaks for the winter, but it still will not perform very well. You will have a hard time driving in the snow, especially if you buy any performance upgrades that give you more low-end torque. Just my .02.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Landcruisin60

Yeah I'm not looking for wicked high numbers, heck my Subi only gets 24 on a good day. But I was hoping that with a very very light foot it would be possible to reach 30mpg. I wasnt really planning on adding any more parts to it. I am happy with the exhaust and CAI.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:08 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

with a 93 octane tune, i tested my gas mileage from ohio to GA, for two tanks of gas and got consistantly 28mpg, so it is possible if you dont drive crazt, i might have gotten thirty if i didn't floor it on every onramp! i say buy it it sounds like a good deal, in winter, mine is fine, but i live in GA and we don't get snow here! good luck man
Old 06-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

driving in the snow sucks period , but with a gt it makes it 10 times more terrible. I got stuck at least once a day last winter here in Michigan.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:16 PM
firehorse02
2nd Gear Member

On regular 87 octane with no major upgrades straight freeway the best I have pulled is 26MPG and that was driving speedlimit since I had my 1 year old in the car with me. "Only a ***** would be hauling *** on California freeways with a kid in the car." In regular city driving I get between 20-23 mpg. However I do have 3.73 gears so that would take awayMAYBE 2mpg's
Old 06-23-2008, 06:22 PM
baino
4th Gear Member

If you gotta deal with the snow alot, it's would definitely be better with an AWD. As much as I hate to say it, you'd prolly be better off selling yours and financing an STI. Good power+AWD=Fun & Traction. Just my opinion though
Old 06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

yeah i agree and baino sweet sig!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 PM
jv101
2nd Gear Member

in my 2000 auto gt w/ mods in sig. i get about 23ish on city/backroad driving. I got 22 last time i filled up(that was because i was pretty much redlining it and smoking the back tires all day lol) NOTE: this is w/ 89. with 87 on the highway my dad was able to pull 26 (doing about 70-80).. as for winter, im not sure i havent had mine for a winter. and probably wont drive it in the winter
Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Landcruisin60

Actually I'm trying to get away from Subarus for the most part. I've had the worst service expirience with my dealership and there isnt any other close dealer. Plus STi's only get 20ish highway and they still fetch a high price even used and high miles. So a low miles GT for a good price really gets me thinking. I might just keep the Subi as a winter beater and get the GT for non snow driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at a GT...best fuel economy and winter driving??