4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Play in Steering Wheel (Fixed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:20 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Steering problems

ORIGINAL: cliffyk
That is a bunch of slop...[/align][/align]Have you had someone do that while you stick your head down under and try to see where the motion is going?[/align][/align]Another thought is air in the system. The shop manual describes a process using vacuum pump and special reservoir cap, but jacking up the front end and turning the wheel from stop to stop several times will generally purge a p/s system.[/align]
Yea ive had someone turn the wheel while i was under there,it seemed to be the shaft. I bought a solid shaft but the play didnt go away at all. When i pulled the old shaft out that bearing in the firewall fell out and i noticed it had a crack in it, but i didnt think it was a major problem and put it back in.

i will try to bleed the power steering to see if that helps.

But i'm kinda lost, The rack and shaft are new and i had an alignment done after the rack was installed(but the guys there never mentioned the Play in the wheel, they just aligned and charged $60).
Old 07-04-2008, 05:32 PM
02stallion

ORIGINAL: 96_LAstang

ORIGINAL: cliffyk
That is a bunch of slop...[/align][/align]Have you had someone do that while you stick your head down under and try to see where the motion is going?[/align][/align]Another thought is air in the system. The shop manual describes a process using vacuum pump and special reservoir cap, but jacking up the front end and turning the wheel from stop to stop several times will generally purge a p/s system.[/align]
Yea ive had someone turn the wheel while i was under there,it seemed to be the shaft. I bought a solid shaft but the play didnt go away at all. When i pulled the old shaft out that bearing in the firewall fell out and i noticed it had a crack in it, but i didnt think it was a major problem and put it back in.

wow. are you serious. i think you might have answered your own question by doing a half (_!_) job
Old 07-04-2008, 06:13 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02stallion
wow. are you serious. i think you might have answered your own question by doing a half (_!_) job
Well i guess i worded that wrong, it had a crack in the outer part of the bearing but it seemed to work correctly, but honestly i dont think that has anything to do with the play in the steering.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:43 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Easy fix. Pull the bolt that clamps the shaft down to the rack, reset the steering wheel straight and put the shaft back on. Its easier if you have 2 people. You just have theteeth misaligned. I did it once and had my wife hold the steering wheel while I reset the shaft.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt
Easy fix. Pull the bolt that clamps the shaft down to the rack, reset the steering wheel straight and put the shaft back on. Its easier if you have 2 people. You just have theteeth misaligned. I did it once and had my wife hold the steering wheel while I reset the shaft.
Thanks, i'll try that. I wasn't expecting that, but now it makes sense.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:37 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

I have a bit of play in mine too, but no where near as bad as you. I was told my outer tie rod on the drivers side was worn, so I replaced that and got an alignment ($70). But it didnt change it at all. Let me know if you find a solution.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:09 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: getafewlives
I have a bit of play in mine too, but no where near as bad as you. I was told my outer tie rod on the drivers side was worn, so I replaced that and got an alignment ($70). But it didnt change it at all. Let me know if you find a solution.
Well i pulled the steering shaft back out and that boot with the bearing in it, and may have found the problem. It seems like that bearing does more than i thought, i put in on the shaft while its out of the car and it seems to have the play i feel in the steering wheel. I plan on ordering one and hoping it fixes the problem.

Heres a link to the boot
Steering Shaft boot
Old 07-05-2008, 12:43 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

That bearing is just there for the shaft to ride on as it passes through the firewall. It will have no effect on play in the steering. But if it is cracked and you got the cash to replace it then you might as well.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:02 AM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt
That bearing is just there for the shaft to ride on as it passes through the firewall. It will have no effect on play in the steering. But if it is cracked and you got the cash to replace it then you might as well.
Yea, i didn't think it really had anything to do with the play, but after pulling it outand testing on the shaft out of the car, its seems to bind up where the crack is and it feels exactly howthe steering wheel feels. Imjust hoping that it or a least helps.

But i tried what you said but the wheels straight, unless the wheel was way off the shaft can only go on in onespot
Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

Update, i bought the steering shaftboot and installed it a little while ago, it didn't help. I am thinking about taking it to a shop tomorrow and explain to them what i have replaced and see if they can tell me exactly what the problem is. I am thinking it something to do with the alignment or the reman rack is bad.

Quick Reply: Play in Steering Wheel (Fixed)