4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much boost can a stock 03 mustang GT take safely?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Prochargerri

Default RE: How much boost can a stock 03 mustang GT take safely?

I had a procharger P1SC with an intercooler on my stock 03 gt and the shop who put it in wouldn't go above 10psi. My experience with procharger was that one of the pulleys on my procharger kept breaking on me.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Now a days the pumps don't offer 91 anymore. Now that ethanol is on the market the only have ethanol85, normal 87, and 93 octane so I mind as well get a tune for 93 octane. How much of a horsepower increase can I expect from 10psi? Also, how badly will the procharger I get effect my fuel economy? I plain on getting a centifuge. Also, for the person that asked I don't plan on taking my car to the track. I just want my car to have some mean kick to it when I punch it. I don't punch very often but the few times I do I like feeling some real nice kick! I also like the street respect you get from others for having one. I know others have experienced this as well. Everyone seems to want to race me because Mustangs are the car to beat to prove that you car is formidable. I can't tell you how many street races I've turned down since I got my Stang. However there's always some guy who's persistant and those are the kind of guys I've actually raced. In total I've only raced twice in the 2 years I've owned it so punching it full potential for me is rare. I actually have control of my right foot which is difficult to do when you touch the gas and your car says, "Is that all ya' got?" However gas is getting more expensive so my conservative driving is benefiting me. My payments are just about done so before anyone says that my gas spendings are going to go up it's nothing compared to a $300 car payment. With that in mind, will I lose or gain MPG on the supercharger if I drive conservatively?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:06 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

nobody can say its going to take X amount of boost and either break or not break, as anything can happen. On top of this, the amount of power it can safely make is going to depend on your other mods. I would never try to make 400 WHP on a completely stock GT + blower kit, but I would have no problem making 420+ WHP on a boltons/cammed car.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

The 3-core refers to the intercooler not the supercharger. Cooler air is safer for the motor because it is less prone to detonation. A 3-core intercooler cools better than a 2-core.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:28 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

As long as you stay out of boost your gas milage will not be affected. Prochargerri, I'm guessing the small idler pulley that came with procharger is what's going out on you?If so then you have the long bolt that goes through it too tight.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

nobody can say its going to take X amount of boost and either break or not break, as anything can happen. On top of this, the amount of power it can safely make is going to depend on your other mods. I would never try to make 400 WHP on a completely stock GT + blower kit, but I would have no problem making 420+ WHP on a boltons/cammed car.
What kind of bolt-ons do you specifically mean? What kind of cams would I need and how much would they cost me?
Old 07-19-2008, 03:21 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragonus18

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

What kind of bolt-ons do you specifically mean? What kind of cams would I need and how much would they cost me?
Any bolton/engine mod that you do will allow you to run more power safely, at least up to a point.

The reason being is, the more boltons/engine mods you have, the less timing you have to run, and the safer the a/f curve. Its much easier tune/boost level wise to make 400 WHP with full boltons/cams than it is with a stock car (impossible imo).

What parts you need will depend on how much power you want to make. I am currently making 420 WHP with safe timing and a fairly rich a/f ratio, because I have full boltons/cams. I would not try doing so on a stock car however.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

What are all the bolt-ons I need? What about the cam? Do I have to upgrade to a bigger one or go dual cam? What do you mean?
Old 07-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcPB2c2ALtI.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragonus18

What are all the bolt-ons I need? What about the cam? Do I have to upgrade to a bigger one or go dual cam? What do you mean?
you can do any of these mods, or none of them. The only difference is going to be the power level that you can achive safely.

You cannot have a 400+ WHP GT that is bone stock + blower kit. You can have a 400+ WHP GT that has full boltons and the blower kit.

Its all about how much money you want to spend and how much power you want to make. Both setups (stock/boltons etc) will be completely safe as long as you don't get stupid with the tune and keep it to a reasonable power level.

if you want specific advice on what to buy, post how much money you want to spend and how much power you want to make, along with the use of the car (dd, fun car only, etc).

Quick Reply: How much boost can a stock 03 mustang GT take safely?