4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

my mustang exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:14 AM
fluiddrive1949

Default my mustang exploded!

Hello all im new to the forum I have a 2002 mustang gt with a few mods....and i a big problem!! I was showing off to some girls 2day doing a break stand when I heard a loud explosion! the car shook died started smoking and stunk like clutch. I tryed to start it, and it started but shook violently and would not go into any gear so i shut it off and called AAA lucky for me the girls were cool and helped me push it out of the street. when i moved the car I noticed a pile of pieces of the bellhosing under it. on closer inspection I realised the entire bellhousing is ripped to shreads. the car will not go into any gear while running but will shift fine while off. my question is what would have caused this? the clutch was out while doing the burnout so why would it smell like burnt clutch? do you think the clutch came apart? has anyone had this happen? any help would be great ill pull it apart 2morow and see what i can find just thought id try here first thanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default RE: my mustang exploded!

I guess they weren't impressed..........
Old 07-21-2008, 05:53 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I've never heard of it happening with a stock motor before but I suppose it could. It sounds to me like your clutch and pressure plate came apart. Be glad it blew downward. There are horror stories floating around of guys loosing a foot when it came up through the floor board.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

...but I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 AM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

...but I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.
LOL

As for the OP, man that sucks...I hope you have another car.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM
agarr19
3rd Gear Member

man that sucks doesnt sound too good but even worse you must have felt like an @$$hole infront of the girls
Old 07-21-2008, 10:14 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

You blew the clutch apart and probably the pressure plate too. You're probably looking at a new clutch assembley. bell housingand fly wheel at least. Pray that your input shaft isn't damaged, if so its new trans time too. That'll learn ya for being a jackass, or not.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fluiddrive1949

Hello all im new to the forum I have a 2002 mustang gt with a few mods....and i a big problem!! I was showing off to some girls 2day doing a break stand when I heard a loud explosion! the car shook died started smoking and stunk like clutch. I tryed to start it, and it started but shook violently and would not go into any gear so i shut it off and called AAA lucky for me the girls were cool and helped me push it out of the street. when i moved the car I noticed a pile of pieces of the bellhosing under it. on closer inspection I realised the entire bellhousing is ripped to shreads. the car will not go into any gear while running but will shift fine while off. my question is what would have caused this? the clutch was out while doing the burnout so why would it smell like burnt clutch? do you think the clutch came apart? has anyone had this happen? any help would be great ill pull it apart 2morow and see what i can find just thought id try here first thanks.
When you have the words, "I was showing off for some girls" in your post, nothing good ever comes out of that. Please tell me that after your car hit the skids, one of the girls offered you a ride. Hopefully this is a lesson learned.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 AM
froggerlives07
1st Gear Member

not the best way to impress chicks i would say
Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 AM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

go easy on him damn guys. you have all been there, if your straight anyway.

Quick Reply: my mustang exploded!