4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Same noise-New clues

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Default Same noise-New clues

Ok so i have posted several times without much luck about the clanking noise i have been getting everytime i start off in reverse or 1st doestn matter. It even does it when i downshift. Well, now i found it does it even with the clutch pushed all the way in! I was pulling into my parking spot at home and i have to drive over uneven levels of concrete to get into it, and i had the clutch pushed in just coasting. As i hit the bump the car kinda rocked a little and that smae noise happened! As the car rocked left-right-left, the noise went clank-creeeek-clank. What the heck is that? The clutch was in to the floor, so the drive train should not have been catching on anyresistance, it was just the bump. Also i notice, i start moving about a foot or two before it makes the clank when i stop and start again. Its delayed. What else could it be? Its definitely not right its too loud. My buddies mustang is onlya year newer but it has 140k miles on it and it doesnt make any noise like that at all. Help! I dont have a clue!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:19 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Same noise-New clues

Where is does the noise seem to come from. Front Back? Right Left?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:48 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

center...right where the tranny sits
Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

mine clanks when i let off the gas in 1 and 2nd and when i shift down into them too...but i dont think it does it when coasting
Old 08-04-2008, 12:16 AM
cjb7804
1st Gear Member

Probably a bad or worn/cracked bushing. Check motor mounts, tranny mounts, and double check drive shaft u-joints while your under there. Could also be a swaybar bushing, or bad shock mount bushing.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:18 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

i had that problem starting in reverse and first, then it started happening in 3rd and 4th, i took off driveshaft inspected u joints and the pinion flange for movement hoping i didnt crush the crush sleeve when i did my gears but i found nothign wrong, so i reinstalled driveshaft and the noise is gone, idk what it was but i have a similar noise that is a clank that happens when i start the engine and sometimes at idle like something hittin the body/floorboard on the car. my girlfriends dad is a mechanic and he said it sounded like a exhaust manifold hitting but its all clear down under so maybe my trans mount
Old 08-08-2008, 04:26 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Well i already replaced th tranny mount, that didnt help. The motor mounts i checked, they seem fine. Everythign looks good, but i havent checked the shocks. I didnt even think of that, since it doesnt do it when i hit bumps all the time. Ill take another look when i get home this weekend.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

man i got the same exact noise and i know something is wrong
what was it you know?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Mine does it when im goin in 1st, hit 2.5k then i shift, and occasionaly it'll kinda click a lil.. jerkin me a lil bit.. It's some bushing somewhere.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 AM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

it s a loose throw out bearing ,i m going to change the clutch and get a clutch kit which is comes with everything you need only thing i need is a what s call a spoon then a flywheel so what to get and i got quote 500$ to put in sounds good

Quick Reply: Same noise-New clues