4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

stiff clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Default stiff clutch

My clutch pedal it stiff as hell. I know everyone says mustangs have hard clutches but mine is ridiculous. My friend just bought a 2002 stang and he let me drive it his clutch is like butter. Im pretty sure im in need of a new clutch cause now sometimes when istart the car and for about 5 mins itll screech. So i have a couple questions. I was looking at the King cobra clutch is that a good choice? Also for now should i buy the a new cable quadrant the firewall adjuster and see if that softens it up a little until i save up for a new clutch? Because my problem is my tranny needs a rebuild too but i donthave that much money yetand my dad doesn't want to do all that work dropping the tranny and doing the clutch and than having to do it again to do the tranny rebuild.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: stiff clutch

just deal with it. its a good workout for ya. wait til you have funds then get everything you need. no sense in messing with things now.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I use a King Cobra Clutch and Billet steel flywheel, paired with steeda quadrent and fire wall adjuster. It's a good combo but the setup is about twice as stiff as the stock one.

I am not sure if it was the clutch or the quadrant that made it really stiff because I did it all at once.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Idont think you know what i mean by stiff though cause mine is extremely hard topush.Andlike i mentioned my friends gt was 10x easier than mine. I think the cable is definatly shot. Cause its stiff but at the same time its like raspy like it has a scraping feeling to it. So i think the cable might be giving a lot of resistance. Cause alsomy buddies bmw takes some effort to push cause he put a high performance clutch inbut its smooth. Mine like has a grinding feel like its rusted up and it grabs way up top alsocause when he let me drive his car i stalled the first time i went to go and when he drove mine it took him like ten minutes to take of lol. I know that can be adjusted though.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 AM
GrnStang96
1st Gear Member

Maybe this will help my clutch is stiff as well but it got stiff as hell one day and it made a really bad nosie it aslo wouldn't let me put it in gear it was the throw out bearingso i got a throw out bearing, fork, king cobra clutch, i send the flywheel to get cut everything is all good now still stiff but its a mans car so enjoy the workout
Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: 98redstang

Idont think you know what i mean by stiff though cause mine is extremely hard topush.Andlike i mentioned my friends gt was 10x easier than mine. I think the cable is definatly shot. Cause its stiff but at the same time its like raspy like it has a scraping feeling to it. So i think the cable might be giving a lot of resistance. Cause alsomy buddies bmw takes some effort to push cause he put a high performance clutch inbut its smooth. Mine like has a grinding feel like its rusted up and it grabs way up top alsocause when he let me drive his car i stalled the first time i went to go and when he drove mine it took him like ten minutes to take of lol. I know that can be adjusted though.
[/align][/align]Install a new cable, that may make the noise on startup go away as well as the bad cable may not be releasing all the way keeping a preload on the throwout bearing...[/align]
Old 08-06-2008, 12:50 PM
mustangGT7822
1st Gear Member

I just got done putting in the king cobra clutch you will love it plus it's pretty cheap
Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Lol, every tme someone sits in the drver seat of my car, they are like 'Dude, wtf, is that like a stage 10 clutch or something"
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jbauer

Lol, every tme someone sits in the drver seat of my car, they are like 'Dude, wtf, is that like a stage 10 clutch or something"
+1 I get the same thing, its a good conversations piece
Old 08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Well i just got done yesterday installing the king cobra kit along with my headers and the cable and firewall adjuster. The clutch is so much easier. My tob was ****. It would even spin if i like flicked it like the new one. You had to take two hands and try to turn it. The clutch grabs nice as hell i almost stalled cause i was used to my worn out one lol. But the car is even more fun to drive now the headers made such a difference. It sounds deep but raspy as hell and they definatly gave me some more power. I'm going for my gear install next and than maybe either a short throw or a tb.

Quick Reply: stiff clutch