4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

MSD 2-Step Install! w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

Default MSD 2-Step Install! w/pics

well Scott and I installed the 2-step tonight.... It rules. didn't take long to install at all and everything went pretty smooth.
here are some pics and instructions/tips on how to install it. I'll post a video of it here in a bit probably, its addicting and badass haha.

Ok well you start off hooking up all of the coils to the new harness. all you do is unplug the coils and plug them into the msd wire harness and then plug the msd connectors to the coils. after I was all done i had to reverse the 2 big pigtails to get it to work. there are two ways to hook up the coil pigtails, I used the one on the upper right hand side of the instructions. if it is hooked up wrong the led will be lit up the entire time the car is running and the 2-step won't work. if its correct the led only comes one when the pedal is depressed and it works.

I also found a good mounting spot and a ground for it.

I hooked my ground wire up to where the cable for the throttle comes through the firewall just to the left of where the clutch cable comes through. its a good ground and close to my mounting location.

next for the fun part. there is a blue wire and a white wire with a blue stripe. either one can activate the 2-step. if you are using the factory neutral safety switch you will want to hook up the BLUE msd wire to the RED neutral safety switch wire. this is the ground activation because the neutral saftey switch acts as a ground.

(the white with a blue stripe is not used in this application, just cut it off and put it up somewhere safe out of the road)

Here is a crappy pic of the setup. the msd kit comes with the nice wire splicer which is the blue thing connecting the two wires.

if u have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MSD 2-Step Install! w/pics

do you have the stock rear end? i thought our 28 spline rear end were weak as hell and dont take high rpm clutch dops/launches.

THEN AGAIN, on you tube i see s/c and nitrous GT's running slicks and cutting 1.6 60' fts on a bone stock rear so wtf gives
Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: avexhype

do you have the stock rear end? i thought our 28 spline rear end were weak as hell and dont take high rpm clutch dops/launches.

THEN AGAIN, on you tube i see s/c and nitrous GT's running slicks and cutting 1.6 60' fts on a bone stock rear so wtf gives
You sir, need some education... Ford's 8.8" is great (in terms of reliability) in stock form (excluding gear ratio changes), when not beaten with things like slicks, or serious track, added to a lot of power adders..

Really, Ford's 8.8" (28-spline) rear is extremely reliable, and fairly strong for most normal applications.. I realize that most of the guys on here aren't after that, so they pursue the 31-spline.. That's a fact, 31-spline are very much worth the extra money they require for the center section and axles.. It all depends on your application..

There's a reason Ford's been using it since the 60's..

JT
Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

so... what tells it to not work when you press the clutch btwn gears?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

so... what tells it to not work when you press the clutch btwn gears?
It has a built in feature set to where it will not activate unless it is 1000 rpm below the set launch limit. so when shifting it wont be below that. I am also wiring in an on off switch into the blue wire so I can turn it off on command, but I won't have to turn it off while using it racing.

and about the 8.8 breaking, I am only on dr's and I do race my car a LOT, at test and tune and NMRA events. I am going to slicks soon and I am going to to a 31 spline axle conversion. but the stock axles can take quite a bit of punishment.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Video of it in action needed!!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:46 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I broke my stock axle at the c clip with just nitto drag radials.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:02 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

nice, but my SCT has it built in.... nothing to mount
Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

nice, but my SCT has it built in.... nothing to mount
my xcal2 doesn't have one built in. do you have a newer programmer? and also I'm guessing that one limits it like the stock rev limiter and cuts fuel?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Wait, so I have to splice the factory RED wire on the Neutral safety switch?
What if i decide to switch back to stock?

Also, there is only one ground wire involved in all of this installation, correct?
What if i chose to use the 12v power source (blue/white wire) instead of the ground (blue wire)to activate the2 step, will i still need touse the ground?

Quick Reply: MSD 2-Step Install! w/pics