4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5.1L Stroker Kit?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSFenris
'big bore'... that depends on your definition. .030" overbore is about the highest recommended for a stockblock, per my research. I know that VT was doing MID-sleeved blocks, and getting .080" or more. I'm sorry, but I just don't have $10k to throw at a shortblock right now, so I'll be satisfied with my 'medium-sized' bore.
You do not have a "big bore" shortblock, you have a shortblock that is bored .30 over... which will make absolutly no difference power wise.

You need a sleeved block to get the benfits of a big bore setup, which is to unshroud the valves as well as improve the bore/stroke ratio.

Edit: once again, there is NO way your trapping 130 MPH in a n/a 2v with anything close to a street legal setup. This is a faster trap than the "world record holder" quoted on several different sites (faster by ALOT) and the car they are speaking of is a no a/c, no radio, no weight shell with a 2v in it (race car, no interior, etc)

If you believe someone telling you this you, simply put, do not understand what it would take to trap 130 MPH. For reference, most of the forum n/a guys are trapping in the 110-116 MPH range, and I don't beleve code was trapping much more than 112-114 on his N/A runs. hell, he wasn't even coming CLOSE to trapping 130 on the n2o. here is the 08 timeslip thread:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/393847-2008-4-6-timeslip-thread.html

Your telling me that you have a friend with a n/a GT that traps 130 MPH... but there are 2 built motor/nitrous setups on the top 2 1/4 mile slips so far this year trapping TEN mph less spraying what, 150-200 shots of nitrous on top of built 2vs??

Like I said, get real. Your going to need something in the neighborhood of 650-700 WHP, a completely insane suspension setup, AND weight reduction to get there on a fully built 2v. Simply put, NOT happening n/a.

Last edited by 2000GT4.6; 09-14-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
Yo Miceleb, go with the stroker bro...you can't trust what the nay sayers will tell you especially when their words go against conventional and common wisdom. Every magazine I've ever read where a stroker kit was done has posted the dyno numbers of those engines...some forum member will get on here and talk with strong language and act all knowledgeable about their experience, but they never post dyno numbers up, they never tell who built the engine, and they never have specific details to explain what may have went wrong. Its always "oh I did a stroker and my car ran like ****". The engine might not have even been built or tuned right. And if they only made x amount of horsepower (from word of mouth) then they would have made a lot less with less displacement. A stroker motor with the mods you stated will make some serious power if it is built right and tuned right despite what anyone says...those stage 2 heads are gonna be fine but I'd say cough up the money for the stage 3 heads...to anyone thinking to respond to this, please have supporting evidence of your claims, otherwise your opinion holds no value...nobody cares about what your friend did to his car or how upset he was or how much money you lost on your project or how you felt no difference when you drove it, or your technical breakdown of how a 2V engine works which explains why a stroker kit is useless...there is no replacement for displacement...it has been proven by professional speed shops, machine shops, and racers all over the world ever since this subject came into its first debate...no 1 forum member with a bad experience is ever gonna change that...hell, 1000 forum members with bad experiences will never change that...

So in other words, you having read a few magazines with stroker 2vs in them means that you know more than the SEVERAL forum members that have done a stroker setup, dynoed it, and proven that it makes no additional power whatsoever (by comparing other similar, n/a non stroked 2v cars)...

As stated, the fastest street legal, full interior 2v on this forum still stands as code3gt.. and he did not use a stroker. I have yet to see anyone make more power in a n/a 2v with a stroker (stock bore) than he did with a stock stroke engine. I have yet to see anyone come on this board or any other and show proof that a stroker 2v is making more power/faster times than they could with a regular displacement engine.

Lets put this this way: The benifit of a stroker setup is SO SMALL that you cannot even tell the difference between it and a stock displacement engine. Almost every "built" n/a 2v on this board with similar parts (stroker or not) is making almost identical (within 10 WHP) power as any other. If you have stage x heads, stage x cam, etc you make about the same as any other board member with the same cams/heads/intake etc, regardless of being a stroker or not.

Big bore will DEFINATLY make more power than a stock bore engine, but this is an entirely different situation, and it is costly in the EXTREME to do so. you could put together an entire built motor for just the cost of a big bore shortblock.

BTW, I just LOVE posts like this about "haters" and people "putting things down. You come on a board, ask about an opinion on something you know nothing about, and exeperenced board members tell you it is a waste of time and money. Obviously they disagree with your pre biased opinion, so they are "haters". Why even bother to ask, just skip all the drama and go waste your money.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:36 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

I never said that I knew more than anybody so there is no need to put words in my mouth. I also never called anybody a hater or accused anybody of putting things down. I used the phrase "naysayers". Yes I do read magazines. I also have experience with engines from both GM and Ford. However, when it comes to trusting a magazine vs trusting an "experienced" forum member, no offense but I'd take the mag any day. I will admit that I have seen magazines report nonsense. I have also seen engine builders build crap. But, you still offered absolutely no proof of your claims. At least the magazines offer proof, references, and the names phone numbers and addresses of the reputable shops that do the work. You get on here talking about "SEVERAL forum members that have done a stroker setup, dynoed it, and proven that it makes no additional power whatsoever" and "the fastest street legal, full interior 2v on this forum still stands as code3gt.. and he did not use a stroker"...ok then, what exactly did you tell me with those two statements...?? Absolutely nothing bro...no disrespect to any member intended but if anyone has proof then please message me or reply with it...don't fu**in tell me about what several other people did...what do YOU know...??
Old 09-14-2008, 05:22 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I never said that I knew more than anybody so there is no need to put words in my mouth. I also never called anybody a hater or accused anybody of putting things down. I used the phrase "naysayers". Yes I do read magazines. I also have experience with engines from both GM and Ford. However, when it comes to trusting a magazine vs trusting an "experienced" forum member, no offense but I'd take the mag any day. I will admit that I have seen magazines report nonsense. I have also seen engine builders build crap. But, you still offered absolutely no proof of your claims. At least the magazines offer proof, references, and the names phone numbers and addresses of the reputable shops that do the work. You get on here talking about "SEVERAL forum members that have done a stroker setup, dynoed it, and proven that it makes no additional power whatsoever" and "the fastest street legal, full interior 2v on this forum still stands as code3gt.. and he did not use a stroker"...ok then, what exactly did you tell me with those two statements...?? Absolutely nothing bro...no disrespect to any member intended but if anyone has proof then please message me or reply with it...don't fu**in tell me about what several other people did...what do YOU know...??

ZW99GT and several others have 5.0 and 5.1L stroker kits on fully built n/a 2v motors. 01GT4.6, code3gt, and several others have/had fully built n/a 2vs with stock or .030 over shortblocks. The results from all of them are virtuatally identical when comparing them to each other, that is to say if you compare two setups that are close in parts to each other (same stage cam, same stage heads etc) they make basically the same WHP, or close enough to account for slight changes in tuning, cam spec, and of course dynos being off. Two people already posted in this thread, that is ZW99GT and 01GT4.6, have very very similar setups other than one is a stroker and one is not... and the stroker is making less WHP last time it was posted.

Your telling me that if this is the case ( and it is... either beileve me or look it up, search is your friend) you still think a stroker could be in any way worth it? If you can account for any minor differences as being due to difference in dynos and tuning, how could the stroker possibly be worth it? If any change at all is so minimal that you can't even tell if it acutally is the stroker or not, other than a back to back test (and this must be tested with a forged shortblock before, and a forged stroker after, not stock vs stroked) then it simply is not worth it.

Hate to tell you guys who joined this forum in 2008... but this was all discussed and solved a long time ago. it is a FACT that the bore/stroke ratio of the 4.6 is already poor from the factory. It is a FACT that you gain virutally no down low TQ when going to a stroker, and it is a FACT that nobody has managed to make a stroker run any faster than a comparable stock displacement n/a engine, end of story.

on top of this, you have at least one (and I think two, too lazy to check) posters in this very thread WITH stroker engines that do not recommend them, for the simple fact that they did not see any gains comapred to a stock displacment setup.... what more proof do you need?

Your talking about 21CI here, on a engine with poor head flow (even ported) espcially in the lower RPM range, and a already poor bore/stroke ratio. There can be no doubt that stroking something like a 350 chevy or even 351W can result in big power improvements, but these are on motors that have a good bore/stroke ratio already, and they have available very good aftermarket H/C/I packages that can flow big numbers,and they are adding signficantly more CI in the bigger stroke pacakges (57CI in the 351W for example, making a 408) which results in good gains up top, the ability to run a less agressive cam etc and make the same/better power.

Stroker kits on n/a or even mild boosted setups simply are not worth it. They offer little/nothing in gain and increase an already bad situation.

Last edited by 2000GT4.6; 09-14-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:28 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

knowing what i know now about 2V's with the SAME setup as mine minus the stroker shortblock, I wish I had invested the $1000 (rough difference in price for the stroker) into something that would have actually given me more power, or at least made more power possible like the KB 2.6 vs my 2.1.

I've seen almost identical cars in terms of a 2V with a KB 2.1 running 10-12psi, forged shortblock, stage II heads, stage II blower cams, full boltons and tuned, laying down numbers within a +/- 15 to 20 hp/tq range. Some stock stroke forged blocks with the same basic setup layed down more power than mine. The difference in numbers is entirely to do with the minute differences in dynos, tuning, and boltons/top end components and i'm convinced NOTHING to do with the fact that I have a stroked 4.6

but what do i know..its only first hand knowledge
Old 09-16-2008, 12:23 AM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

2000GT... I never said I had a 'big-bore' by your definition, but to some, a 'big bore' is anything larger than stock. >shrug< I will agree that the big power comes from unshrouding the valves and all that jazz... I never denied that. I also know that you can make the increased cubes felt once you add boost in the form of a supercharger or turbo.

Whoever said that their 'buddy's cousin's sister's fiancee's n/a GT' traps at 130, they're smoking. 130mph traps, I believe, are low 10sec cars (please feel free to correct me, I'm exhausted and could be doing the math wrong). I'm sorry, but there just is not enough air going through that motor to make 600+rwhp (in a streetable car) N/A.

I did just pick my copy of MM&FF's October issue back up, and found an article called '2V Tyranny', detailing the buildup of a 435fwhp 7krpm N/A 2V. Is it practical? Not on your life. Is it cool? Yup. The build was done on a stock-cube, blueprinted Livernois motor with their new cylinder head design (they change the chamber shape significantly). Interesting stuff.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by SSFenris
2000GT... I never said I had a 'big-bore' by your definition, but to some, a 'big bore' is anything larger than stock. >shrug< I will agree that the big power comes from unshrouding the valves and all that jazz... I never denied that. I also know that you can make the increased cubes felt once you add boost in the form of a supercharger or turbo.

Whoever said that their 'buddy's cousin's sister's fiancee's n/a GT' traps at 130, they're smoking. 130mph traps, I believe, are low 10sec cars (please feel free to correct me, I'm exhausted and could be doing the math wrong). I'm sorry, but there just is not enough air going through that motor to make 600+rwhp (in a streetable car) N/A.

I did just pick my copy of MM&FF's October issue back up, and found an article called '2V Tyranny', detailing the buildup of a 435fwhp 7krpm N/A 2V. Is it practical? Not on your life. Is it cool? Yup. The build was done on a stock-cube, blueprinted Livernois motor with their new cylinder head design (they change the chamber shape significantly). Interesting stuff.

I was riding around with the guy 2 nights ago (in his bigass diesel) and I brought this up, he said when he went 11.1@129 with a 2.3 60' and it was on a 100shot... So I stand corrected, because I didnt know he was spraying constantly.. But im not makin this up....so my uncles cousins sons GT did exist, and it was a fast *** car... But Im done with this arguement..
Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

It's easy to get caught up in the hype of what shops and magazines are telling you. Everyone does at one time or another. You have to understand something though. THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL YOU STUFF! We're not. You and whoever else can pay the extra money for 3.75" crank and frankly I don't think it's a bad idea.

But don't think you are gonna destroy all the other 281 or 283ci built 2v's on the dyno or track. It's gonna come down to who's got the best top-end (as in H/C/I). Code3GT and 01GT4.6 both put down quite a bit more power than my car, and they are both 283's or smaller. It's nothing to fight over. You just have to get this stroker = huge power deal out of your head when you are dealing with OHC Fords
Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000GT4.6
So in other words, you having read a few magazines with stroker 2vs in them means that you know more than the SEVERAL forum members that have done a stroker setup, dynoed it, and proven that it makes no additional power whatsoever (by comparing other similar, n/a non stroked 2v cars)...

As stated, the fastest street legal, full interior 2v on this forum still stands as code3gt.. and he did not use a stroker. I have yet to see anyone make more power in a n/a 2v with a stroker (stock bore) than he did with a stock stroke engine. I have yet to see anyone come on this board or any other and show proof that a stroker 2v is making more power/faster times than they could with a regular displacement engine.

Lets put this this way: The benifit of a stroker setup is SO SMALL that you cannot even tell the difference between it and a stock displacement engine. Almost every "built" n/a 2v on this board with similar parts (stroker or not) is making almost identical (within 10 WHP) power as any other. If you have stage x heads, stage x cam, etc you make about the same as any other board member with the same cams/heads/intake etc, regardless of being a stroker or not.

Big bore will DEFINATLY make more power than a stock bore engine, but this is an entirely different situation, and it is costly in the EXTREME to do so. you could put together an entire built motor for just the cost of a big bore shortblock.

BTW, I just LOVE posts like this about "haters" and people "putting things down. You come on a board, ask about an opinion on something you know nothing about, and exeperenced board members tell you it is a waste of time and money. Obviously they disagree with your pre biased opinion, so they are "haters". Why even bother to ask, just skip all the drama and go waste your money.
That needs to be investigated. I wonder what Mitch's best time was after the new build. I'm not certain he made a clean pass on the spray did he?
Old 09-17-2008, 02:44 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Hey, thanks for the reply 2000GT4.6 and ZW99GT. And thanks for doing so without insults and accusations. Your last posts definitely showed some evidence to support your argument. Some forum members like to initially bash others just for making a statement and I appreciate that your response to my statement was different. I have to say that I am still in favor of doing a stroker but that is my personal opinion. Perhaps I would do well to not persuade others to do strokers. At least not until I have more personal experience to say whether or not I think it is worthwhile. I usually build engines for future mods such as supercharging tho so I wonder if a stroker is worthile (in your opinion) when introducing forced induction into the equation...??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.1L Stroker Kit?