4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trickflow Plenum and 75mm TB install

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Default Trickflow Plenum and 75mm TB install

Just reinstalled the Trickflow plenum/75mm TB(First plenum had a stripped lower bolt hole where the IAC went) and I can honestly say that there was only a slight feeling of improvement on HP. I can say that the throttle seems more responsive and smooth. One complaint I do have is that awful whistling sound! What is that? Can I get rid of it somehow? It's not super loud or anything but it's definitely noticeable.

John
Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Its common with CAI swaps. Its all that air being sucked in. Just out of curiosity why did you go with a 75mm? Are you boosting the car or something
Old 09-30-2008, 02:59 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

more airflow through your intake
Old 09-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilvrStang
Its common with CAI swaps. Its all that air being sucked in. Just out of curiosity why did you go with a 75mm? Are you boosting the car or something
But I'm running the stock CAI with a K & N in it! I didn't see the need to go aftermarket as it didn't look like there was that much difference. It seemed to me that the filter was the main restriction point or am I wrong?

Got a decent deal for the TB/Plenum. I'd been thinking about it but wasn't really serious until I met a cool dude at a BBQ this last weekend that used to work for Roush. He told me he would install a blower for beer! Got me really thinking! LOL!

John

Last edited by Novanutcase; 09-30-2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

PCS the 75mm is too big for a N/A 2 valve 70mm is perfect. Yeah man that would be a great idea. I got a buddy of mine telling me to buy a vortech but I wana build it up a bit before I boost it. As for install its some common knowledge and hand tools
Old 09-30-2008, 03:49 AM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

on my old V6 i put a $70 CAI on it and it whistled i loved it(only thing that made it sound good) lol. then when i got my Gt i put the same brand intake on it no whistle im puttin on a 70mm TB and trickflow plenum aswell when it arives.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

About the whistle its defiantly the plenum, and TB Ford designed the stock one to be quiet. My ProProducts one will whistle if I get the throttle position and its under just the right amount of load. The only thing you can do is ignore it.

On my V6 I had a BBK and that thing was LOUD! I actually had someone ask me if I had a turbo.. lol
Old 09-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

it's def. the plenum, no doubt. I had a trickflow plenum, and a lot of them tend to whistle. It's actually much louder than the exhaust itself, it annoyed the living hell out of me to the point where i had to buy another brand plenum. The guys at trickflow will tell you it's not normal, but from my experience trickflow plenums whistle..and loud.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:32 AM
HNDA ETR
1st Gear Member

Yeah I've got the BBK Intake and that thing whistles really loud 2. But I like the sound. Looking forward to putting in the BBK Throttle body as well. Then it'll really sound like a turbo
Old 06-01-2014, 06:31 PM
ruswin

I already posted this response on a different thread, but I wanted to be sure to hit a couple others. From what I understand the trickflow plenum is similar to the Professional products plenum, and they both whistle like Mfers at light to medium throttle. The solution for me was to smooth out the EGR port , read the complete post below.

I purchased a Pro Products intake plenum and 70mm TB just to find out that after install the intake made a horrific whistling sound. I did the same research everyone here did, and found the Tech support people at Professional products completely useless, so after a lot of installing, un-installing, grinding / porting etc, I can say with confidence that the problem is the EGV port that is on the outside curve of the plenum acts like a empty bottle when you blow air over it. (If you look at the Ford plenum, there is a small protruding triangle of aluminum directly preceding the port to deflect air away from the opening. I used several grinding tools and make that port gradually sloped away from where the air is coming from in order to eliminate the sharp edge on the "bottom" of the EGR port. Once that sharp port is smooth, the air no longer gets caught there, hence NO MORE WHISTLE! Be patient and do a bit of port work on the intake and it will be as quiet as the stock one. CHEERS