4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question for people racing automatic 'stangs

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Alias3800
1st Gear Member

Default Question for people racing automatic 'stangs

Hey sup everybody.

I thought the answer to this was obvious, but I'm not so sure any more. When you race an automatic, are you shifting through 1st and 2nd gear and then putting it on D.. or are you just leaving it on D and stepping on it??

Both produce really good results, and I can get a chirp on third if I do it the "half-manual" way, but I don't know if that's harming the transmission/engine. Next week I'll be putting in the shift-kit, and maybe a month or two after that I'll be adding a B&M shifter. I've already put 4.10s in the car.

Show me the way guys..

Thanks,

Rob
Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

i just leave it in D, turn off overdrive and mash it
Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I wouldnt suggest "shifting"

Thats the fastest way to tear that trans up...

Also, avoid extended WOT while the car is in overdrive.. Shifting into OD while under heavy load can harm the band.. i.e --- mess your trans up
Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

depends if you have stock transmission or a built one. i wouldnt do it though. in the fox's it was great but no so much in the newer cars.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Ecstasy
depends if you have stock transmission or a built one. i wouldnt do it though. in the fox's it was great but no so much in the newer cars.
I broke my AOD in like 2 weeks driving around like that..

Its great, for about 15 seconds...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

well yea in foxes you can do it and get away with it, not in 94+.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I dont think we are on the same page, AOD was in my 93...

94-95 was AOD-E, and 96+ is 4r70 is even worse lol

Anyway, give her hell
Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 AM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Woa... I was undr the impression our trannies were pretty solid. Either way, shifting or not, you will def. want to get a transmission oil cooler. Heat is the enemy, plain and simple.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 AM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

there is an article written by Jerry Wroblewski who used to be a Ford transmission engineer, he said on 96+ 4R70W transmissions you can do the 1-2 or 2-1 manual shifting all you want and it won't hurt the transmission.

If you plan on doing any modification to the transmission, I suggest installing a transmission cooler first, the bigger the better. Hell, install one anyway even if its stock.

article is at www.tccoa.com
Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 AM
03FstStngKB
2nd Gear Member

*edit^^^you are right...I have read that...but even Darrin at BC-Automotive said it shouldn't be done....and he is one of the 4r70w transmission GODS. But I will do less of it once I get the tune in to match the gears and the converter I am putting it in. Manually shifting is fun for part throttle situations, the problem is complicated more by WOT shifting it manually because line pressure is real high and things are happening much faster and more friction is being built up and the breakdown happens much quicker. People might ask well why not get a manual car then? Because I bought the auto and that is what I wanted...end of story! The problem like I mention below is the way the clutchs release and grab while doing it manually. There is some overrunning of some clutchs but when in Auto the releasing of them is done differently...or in better terms more safely which in terms reduces heat and is easier on the transmission. There was a good write up somewhere on what each gear does in both modes...so that you see where the problem lies in shifting it manually vs the automatic shift mode.

Gawwd...people act like it's the end of the world to shift the damn transmission manually! It's no worse on the f'ng thing than to leave it in Auto, under WOT conditions. I shift mine all the time and I mean ALL the time but not under WOT conditions, it's mostly at part throttle. Because of my 4.30 gears, the stock tune is f'ng junk. My transmission is still intact and no problems. The underlying problem associated with doing the shifting yourself vs letting the computer do it is the way the clutchs and bands grab and release from one another during the shift. I don't have the info in front of me but I have read that inorder to achieve the shift manually some clutchs are not releasing fully while other ones are grabbing. In essence you have overlap, which creates heat and breaks down the fluid in the transmission faster and then that wears out the stuff in the transmission faster.

30,000 miles is the change interval under normal service duty...but who in there right mind is going to wait that long. Hell I am only putting about 1500-2000 miles a year on my stang, it's not a daily driver...about 200 a month for 9 months out the year. So yeah fluid should be changed at least once a year if your going to be doing a lot of that manually shifting or at least once every 10,000 miles. I am going to be running a 3700 stall, and even w/a huge *** transmission cooler I am still going to be sticking by that rule...I don't care what people say. You can never be safe enough when it comes to these transmissions. Keep the fluid from getting contaminated and don't let it break down...optimal running temperature of transmission fluid when warmed up should be around 170-175 degrees and you won't have too many problems. If you like driving WOT all the time while shifting it manually and not changing the fluid regualry then be prepared for repairs down the road. The stock transmission can hold up to the power it's the lack of maintenance and heat build up that kills em.

Last edited by 03FstStngKB; 10-09-2008 at 02:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Question for people racing automatic 'stangs