4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

RPM's hanging up

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:46 AM
600rrider

Default RPM's hanging up

I bought an 03 gt 5spd a few months ago. Every since I have owned it the RPM's have hung up between shifts. Sometimes it even gains RPM's when I push the clutch in. Also when I stop it will idle around 12 or 1300 for a few seconds then drop down a few hundred.

Is there a sensor that is bad or do they all do this? My last vehicle was a dakota and it was doing the same thing. It eventually got to where it would jup up to around 3 or 4 thousand when pushing in the clutch. It ended up being a sensor that was fixed for free due to a recall.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Rad Red 03

Default Hanging rpm's

The modulars from '99-04 are famous for this problem. I to have an '03 and had the same problem. You can either try and adjust your TPS for which youll need an OLM meter or you can go to the "how to" section and I think ther is a Blog that shows you how to drill a hole in the intake to help with the problem. If its not there look around in here, there are instructions somewhere. good luck.

P>S> I just adjusted the TPS myself.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Rad Red 03

;-) DAH! OHM Meter
Old 11-28-2008, 11:25 AM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/237506-how-to-iac-rev-mod-fixing-the-hanging-rpms.html
Old 11-28-2008, 11:36 AM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

^^ +1. The IAC mod is a cheap and easy fix. You just might need to re-learn your car a little after the simple mod.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 AM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

I had this problem show up lastweek. Just go to advanced or Autozone and get a new Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) you can pick them up for around 30bucks. took me about 2minutes to do the install, all normal again.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:33 AM
DickH
1st Gear Member

I had no idea this is a problem I have noticed it with my car and just assumed it was doing something different for idle. Is there any long term damage that may occur from this?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Rad Red 03
The modulars from '99-04 are famous for this problem. I to have an '03 and had the same problem. You can either try and adjust your TPS for which youll need an OLM meter or you can go to the "how to" section and I think ther is a Blog that shows you how to drill a hole in the intake to help with the problem. If its not there look around in here, there are instructions somewhere. good luck.

P>S> I just adjusted the TPS myself.
The TPS is not adjustable on the EEC-V ('99 to '04) 4.6 L 2V engines. The PCM continuously monitors and learns the lowest output voltage of the TPS--it then uses this value as meaning "closed throttle".

Since the voltage applied to the TPS, and it's angular change in resistance, are both fixed values it is easy to calculate the % of throttle opening.

From the '03 shop manual:
Idle Speed Control Closed Throttle Determination

One of the fundamental criteria for entering rpm control is an indication of closed throttle. Throttle mode is always calculated to the lowest learned throttle position (TP) voltage seen since engine start.

This lowest learned value is called "ratch," since the software acts like a one-way ratch. The ratch value (voltage) is displayed as the TPREL PID. The ratch value is relearned after every engine start. Ratch will learn the lowest, steady TP voltage seen after the engine starts.

In some cases, ratch can learn higher values of TP. The time to learn the higher values is significantly longer than the time to learn the lower values. The brakes must also be applied to learn the longer values.

All PCM functions are done using this ratch voltage, including idle speed control. The PCM goes into closed throttle mode when the TP voltage is at the ratch (TPREL PID) value. Increase in TP voltage, normally less than 0.05 volts, will put the PCM in part throttle mode. Throttle mode can be viewed by looking at the TP MODE PID.

With the throttle closed, the PID must read C/T (closed throttle). Slightly corrupt values of ratch can prevent the PCM from entering closed throttle mode. An incorrect part throttle indication at idle will prevent entry into closed throttle rpm control, and could result in a high idle.

Ratch can be corrupted by a throttle position sensor or circuit that "drops out" or is noisy, or by loose/worn throttle plates that close tight during a decel and spring back at a normal engine vacuum.
Rotating the TPS withing the limited range allowed by the mounting screws and holes, while monitoring the voltage, will do nothing. The continued prorogation of this TPS adjustment "advice" for EEC-V engines (it it a proper procedure on the EEC-IV engines) has driven some to file the TPS mounting holes and really screw things up.

As to the OP's original question, it is normal (and annoying) for the rpm's to hang between shifts, and for rpm to stay high until the car actually stops moving. The between shifts part is emissions related, the idle behaviour is related to the hydroboost braking system--it keeps the ilde high to make 100% sure there is sufficient power steering system pressure for the power assisted brakes.

Both of these can be modified with the various IAC mods that place a restriction in the IAC supply tube, or with the gasket type mod. They can also be tuned out with a low level (higher priced) tuner like Sniper's Commando system.

It is not not normal for the revs to climb noticably between shifts, and the usual high idle before stopping is 1100 to 1150 rpm.

His observation may indeed indicate a sluggish IAC valve.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:30 AM
600rrider

Thanks for all the helpful info, I really appreciate it. I have had no time lately and forgot that I had even posted this. I was supprised at all the helpful responses