4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Am I Fuc*ed with this car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:13 PM
rjd2

Default Am I Fuc*ed with this car?

I recently purchased a 2000 Mustang GT vert. The car was listed on ebay, and had only very cosmetic and minor problems listed. I went to check out the car in person, and the guy was very nice and knew alot about the car. He showed me the problems, let me test drive it, and even pointed out a few really small things not in the listing, like a plastic clip missing in the engine bay, and a small rip in the carpet. He told me the car had a clear history, just like the auction stated with a clear title, and that he was the second owner after his buddy. I bid on the car, and won the auction for $7000, and got the title transfer.

Now, its been 4 days and i was looking at the car alot closer from underneath on the front to look for anything i might want to touch up and the paint seemed a bit uneven.. odd. Well i did a autocheck today to find out the car had been in a front-end accident in 2005 with the owner before him, and the car has had a total of 4 owners..... GREATTT. I'm almost positive he knew about the accident, because it belonged to his friend and neighbor when it was in the accident.

Am i screwed into keeping the car? It still has the 30 day tags and we got the title notarized and transferred, but i have yet to register it with plates and put it on my insurance. The guy was very nice the whole time, I'm hoping he will allow me to return the car, and if not is there anything i can threaten him with(i.e small claims court, wrongfully advertising in the ebay listing, etc???)
Old 11-29-2008, 05:34 PM
0440thgt
2nd Gear Member

Geez. I hate douche bags!

Is the car in good shape? Just because he lied about the accident doesn't necessarily mean that it was totaled out. It may have just been a minor accident.

I understand where you're coming from though, I'd be pissed too and worried about what else he's lieing about. If they car is nice though, might want to consider keeping it. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on it!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:37 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

False advertising is one way to go about it. It is a small claims proceeding.
However, im sure the judge will ask you why you failed to get a carfax report done prior to bidding or ownership. Granted the same could go for the seller, Why didn't he provide a carfax report detailing the cars accident and owner history. If he will not take the vehicle back I would advise him that your intentions are to move forward with litigation. At that point he will either change his tune, or say bring it on.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:38 PM
rjd2

The car is great, i was definatly excited about the price i got it for. By the autocheck says the damage was moderate to severe, so who knows what all could have happened? I would rather just try to avoid it all together and keep looking while i still can(hopefully).
Old 11-29-2008, 05:40 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

does autocheck state as to which owner had the accident? You might be able to track down the owner and ask to what extent the vehicle was damaged.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Take the car to a body shop and have them put it on a frame machine . I've bought 3 cars off ebay knowing the were Reconstructed . After checking them out . Found out they were just fine . I'd be upset if the guy lied to you . But you as the buyer have a resposibility as well .
Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 PM
mustangman281
Banned

If the car drives straight and all body panels line up who cares if it was in an accident. When I bought my wifes car the dealer tried to tell me it was never in an accident but I could tell it was. Car ran fine but I used it to get the price dropped. Car is still great to this day.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:56 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

+1
Take it to a body shop and have them look at it, but if the car drives, runs, and looks fine, keep it and just drive it.
I got my '99 GT for $5200 over a year ago.
My car has 105K on her and I'm the second owner not including the dealer before me.
It had a side swipe accident that took out the whole drivers side front to back but was it was never in the car fax report, but I had it checked out by a body shop friend and it is fine.
Lynn
Old 11-30-2008, 01:01 AM
ezking
1st Gear Member

It's not false advertising, buying off ebay motors is "as is" im sure it says it there somewhere. He probably wont give you back your money.

My first car was a 1972 SS nova I bought off of ebay, turns out it was a clone and it was completely rusted out, none of that was mentioned though, it was a complete hack job, 50% bondo, and I was ****ed.

is the car ****ed up noticably when you drive it? you might not be that bad off.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:11 AM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

future reference, carfax BEFORE you buy the vehicle. would of saved you alot of headaches.

Quick Reply: Am I Fuc*ed with this car?