4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Get a D-1, Throw on a 2.8 8 Rib Pulley, run about 16psi of boost....... When the motor blows it gives you an excuse to build a better motor!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mylongvictor
Get a D-1, Throw on a 2.8 8 Rib Pulley, run about 16psi of boost....... When the motor blows it gives you an excuse to build a better motor!
I like this guy!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Fobra
Banned

Normally RPM kills rods, not power and that is fairly true but in our mustangs' case the rods are so weak that it ends up that the old saying is not true. However, boost doesn't measure power so as long as the total power, and temps are controlled it should be good to go. In most cases an engine's condition and ability to support a power are unique to itself. Iv'e seen 200k mile motors hold a 200 shot and seen 25k mile motors pop w/ 6lbs of boost. There is no real answer to your question... other than if you cant afford to fix it then dont do something that might break it
Old 01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

I've run two supercharged mustangs. A 5.0 with 100k when I put the blower on and I ran 8 psi just fine for 30k miles when I sold it. And my built 4.6 I drive now with 9 psi. They're both fast and if you take care of them they MORE THAN LIKELY will last.

My suggestion go ahead and put the blower on. Dont beat on the car without reason. Take care of it. And it will MOST LIKELY last until you want another.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
Dennis, you be wrong.

You should come race me to see how ricer my NPI is.

If you knew one thing you would know that 4.6 engines have limits. The rods and pistons generally cant handle anything over 400 rwhp.

So it may take 14 psi on a modded NPI to hit 400 rwhp vs 10 psi on a PI car to hit 400rwhp.
Running 12 psi on his NPI wouldnt create a problem for the rods and pistons becuase his car still wouldnt be close to the 4.6's power limit.

He should stay at 10 psi or below just to be safe.

More boost does not always equal more power.

There is ways to run higher boost levels and run more fuel/ less timing to keep the power down.

He was running the procharger FMU and said he ran 12-15 psi. This doesnt mean his car was making all kinds of power, It was still a NPI. He ran 13.0 at like 108.5 mph with 12 psi.

My car with 11 psi and comparable mods trapped 112-113 compared to his 108.5 just becuase my car actually has a fuel system and is tuned rather than an FMU that just dumps loads of fuel to make it safe.

Again, Boost is a measure of restriction. More boost does not always mean more power.

He had like 315k on the engine when he was done.

Had the blower from 115 to 315k and was running 12 psi, then 15 psi he told me.

He goes by Erich over at corral....the threads are old as hell and all I can find is this one. I dont think he ever beat the car and he kept the rpms down. I think he just liked haveing the boost come one early so he could have a lot of mid range power.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=928999
Feel free to email him if you want proof.

I have no reason to lie. I run 11 psi daily and beat the hell out of my car. I have a good tune though.

Do what you like but you asked and I posted my opinion and experiences with boost

Your car isnt that fast, save me the bul$hit. But you misread what I was try to get at. Any given car (if you are trying to make power, which is the point) well gain HP as boost increases. I never said that a NPI at 8lbs is the same as a PI at 8lbs. I know there is a difference. I know what boost is. I understand the relationship boost has with restriction. I understand the power limits of the car also. I dont need a lesson, like I said save it.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rthouck
I've run two supercharged mustangs. A 5.0 with 100k when I put the blower on and I ran 8 psi just fine for 30k miles when I sold it. And my built 4.6 I drive now with 9 psi. They're both fast and if you take care of them they MORE THAN LIKELY will last.

My suggestion go ahead and put the blower on. Dont beat on the car without reason. Take care of it. And it will MOST LIKELY last until you want another.
than why would you put a blower on?

if you arent going to drive fast or race then hes just throwing his money away.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by dennis_112
Your car isnt that fast
Actually his car is that fast, I'm a witness!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

He said he was trapping a 112-113, didnt say his time, but our cars are similar wieght and we have similar power level I am close to 400 if not a little over he is probably right below at like 350 or so. He is probably running a mid 12. I meant compared to me he isnt fast enough to make a big scene and challenge me to a race like he is some bad *** with a supercharger because I got one too, not to mention PI heads, intake, and a crap load of other stuff done. I also agree, not much point of putting loads of money into something you arent going to race or drive fast. Just read your buddy erich or whatevers post about it 315k supercharger, metal in oil, supercharger coming apart, bearings broke, clogged oil pump, you get the point. Sounds very reliable.

Last edited by dennis_112; 01-16-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
than why would you put a blower on?

if you arent going to drive fast or race then hes just throwing his money away.
You can put a blower on and not beat on it. It's nice to have the extra power when you need it. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone who puts a blower on is going to be WOT all the time.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Nrre
1st Gear Member

i don't have a blower and im WOT all the time...

Quick Reply: Superchargers