4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

abs light is on..how to check??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Make sure the exciter rings are still in one piece too....
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by livefast1
when you say pulse does the pedal feel wierd or does it feel like the brakes are warped (feel a vibration in your seat).

if they messed up or didn't install a sensor all the way in, the abs module will see a differential in wheel speed which tells it a tire has lost traction and will cause an abs stop, which would also explain why your abs light is on.
When I slow down to like 10mph, you can hear a noise near the trans and the pedal will pulse with the noise. The pulse kinda does feel like abs is activating. It doesnt feel like the brakes are warped or anything bad.

Now when the abs light is on, its disables abs right? Cause when its on the pedal doesnt pulse and that noise is gone. Im going to drive over to the dealership to see if they can read the code after class.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by 6sphere
When I slow down to like 10mph, you can hear a noise near the trans and the pedal will pulse with the noise. The pulse kinda does feel like abs is activating. It doesnt feel like the brakes are warped or anything bad.

Now when the abs light is on, its disables abs right? Cause when its on the pedal doesnt pulse and that noise is gone. Im going to drive over to the dealership to see if they can read the code after class.
Is your light goin on and off? Why havent you taken it to the installer yet to get it checked out.. If its pulsating with the light off, and when you have the light on and it doesnt do it, then its def. a ABS problem.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Is your light goin on and off? Why havent you taken it to the installer yet to get it checked out.. If its pulsating with the light off, and when you have the light on and it doesnt do it, then its def. a ABS problem.
I really havent had time to drop it off. My other car is currently non operational so I need this car. I'll try and get it dropped of today.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

So I took my car to the shop yesterday. I came back today and they said all they had to do was reset it. I drove the car and the pedal was still pulsing. I went back inside and told them it was still pulsing and explained everything to them again. One dude took it for spin and came back understanding what was going on.

The shop said they hooked it up to their scan tool and no codes were found. All the wheel speed sensors were reading fine according to them. I asked if I could get the light to come on if they could scan it again for me. I took the car on the highway and the light came on. Went back to the place and he scanned it again with their Matco scanner. Said no codes were found.

Im downloading the FSM now and i'll try to troubleshoot the problem myself.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

It hard to trouble shoot a problem with no codes to go off. Do you know any friends at Ford? Our scan tool (IDS) is capable of reading codes that other scanners cant. Its a manufacturer thing. They deliberately make codes that you have to bring it to Ford to read.. Does that make sense?

If you know the rotors are good, and the vibration you feel is in the pedal (sorta has a buzzing type feel/sound) then it sounds like you could have one sensor not reading the same as the other. If one sensor is off even ~2mph from the other side, it can freak out the ABS. Also, just because the sensor is reading, doesnt mean they are reading the same #s. This may be a dumb question, but you have 2 of the same tires on the rear of the car right? And the tire pressures are equal? What about the front??
Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Also, pull the fuse for the ABS (2.29 15A under the dash)

Your light should stay on, now drive the car and see if the pedal still pulses
Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

My uncle works for for the financing part of Ford so maybe he knows someone at a dealership who can scan it for free. They wanted $100 when I went there a few days ago.

Im going to test the sensors out back when the FSM gets finished downloading. I still think one of them is damaged.

And I have the abs module fuse under the hood pulled so the pedals wont pulse (which they dont when the fuse is pulled). Should I just pull the one under the dash or am I fine?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

On a related noted, I recently had to get my abs module replace, and I was just wondering what the chances were that some jackass intentionally broke it so he wouldn't have to turn the traction lock off every time he started the car.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcdt94
On a related noted, I recently had to get my abs module replace, and I was just wondering what the chances were that some jackass intentionally broke it so he wouldn't have to turn the traction lock off every time he started the car.
I doubt it. You can just pull the fuse and it will disable T/C every time.