4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

95 cobra r hood install

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:58 AM
ezking
1st Gear Member

Default 95 cobra r hood install

Alright I haven't really had time to tackle this at all, but since I'm not gonna have time for a few days, I figured I might get what I could out of u guys to make things that much easier.

I found a cowl cobra r hood for $300 so I snagged it, but I tried to throw it on really quick to transport it but the hood didn't seem to close all the way. It seems to hit some plastic molding down on the firewall, so I had a buddy take it to my house and through my stock hood back on and went back to work.

What all am I going to have to take off when I go to do this? And will it line up right with my stock hinges. Technically its a stock part off of the same body car right? I dunno I've been thinking about putting it on all week and I haven't had time to even try. I got that bad feeling that it just won't be that damn easy.

Anyone else done this swap? What did you have to take off?

95 cobra r cowl hood on to 97 gt. Thx
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

A hood is a simple installation, unless you got a cheap knockoff. The easiest thing to do is to stick it on, but keep all the bolts in just before they start to get tight. That way you can adjust it either way you need it. You want to make sure that the body lines are good and that it can open and close without any issues. Then go ahead and button it up, stand back and admire your handiwork.
I have had a problem with aftermarket hoods. We had one customer get a extractor hood and this thing was not even close. We would not only have had to drill and tap the holes again, but actually cut the hood itself to make it fit. The back edge was trying to sit on the fender. The customer service people were very helpful. They just said, you paid for a $300 hood, what did you expect? with that we sent it back and bought a cervinis. Long story short, make sure the hood actually fits before you paint it so that if it is ill fitting you can return it.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM
ezking
1st Gear Member

that seems to b my problem, the back edge is hitting a plastic molding on the drivers side. i bought the hood used off craigslist. its already painted and i was told it was the real deal. it was off of a 95 cobra i was told, and it's aparent it has been installed before, and used.

the bottom of the cowl hits the molding against the firewall where the strut bar bolts down, theres a bulge on the drivers side where the hood hits. but it looks as though that piece of plastic runs along the whole top of the firewall. i cant see how that is supposed to happen, maybe just slotting the hinges so it can slide forward a little? it does seem to sit back farther then the stock hood, but i cant close it all the way.

the hood is now painted black, but u can see that the original color was white. i dunno what the deal is, i poked around with it this morning but obviously im gonna have to set some time a side to figure it out for sure.