4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EGR delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:44 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default EGR delete

does anyone know where i can find an EGR delete for 96-98 cobra, im also wondering if anyone has any information on exactly what all i can removed when the egr is delete. (dpffe sensor, etc etc.)
Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Modular Depot sells the kit for 21 shipped. Or you can got to Home Depot and buy a 5/8 pipe thread "BRASS" cap from the individual packaged section. (the don't actually make an iron 5/8 PT Cap)

And you can make the delete plate out of any flat stock but cutting to length (or shape desired)

I actually made it and used it for a while then just bought the Kit later on.

You can take it all off.... Once you start disconnecting it, you'll see what I mean.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I have a pretty good hold on all the electrical thats going to come out the only thing i wasn't 100% sure about was the little black vacum solenoid with the two vacum lines coming out, it looks like one of them splices into a line for the intake/fuel system. I havent had time to really get a good look at it yet because i have the top end of the motor ripped apart.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 PM
sycho

i took the egr off my car, all those black vac lines come out with the egr. i made my own plate and got the 5/8 cap at lowes and everything worked out great! do you have a programmer to turn off the egr? if not youll be looking at a check engine light.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:42 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Would deleting the EGR be possible and have any effect on an 04 GT?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:14 PM
sycho

thats what year mine is, no negitive effects. they say mpg goes down, but i have not noticed.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:17 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

any positive affects...?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

I just did this on my 03 GT a few weeks ago. Wish I had done it a long time ago! It was super easy because I already had everything apart working on other stuff. But it cleans up that area behind the engine a ton. And If I wanted to put the EGR back on, it would only be about a 30 minute job. I have not noticed a change in MPG at all. Actually its getting pretty decent mileage. Plus, theres no more hot exhaust gasses going down the intake. Means less chance of detonation since the air coming in will be cooler.

I also deleted the entire pcv system. Further cleaning up the engine bay by removing all those hoses. I just capped off the intake and manifold ports, and put breather filters on the valve covers. Looks sweet and no chance of oil getting sucked into the intake or the turbo!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
I just did this on my 03 GT a few weeks ago. Wish I had done it a long time ago! It was super easy because I already had everything apart working on other stuff. But it cleans up that area behind the engine a ton. And If I wanted to put the EGR back on, it would only be about a 30 minute job. I have not noticed a change in MPG at all. Actually its getting pretty decent mileage. Plus, theres no more hot exhaust gasses going down the intake. Means less chance of detonation since the air coming in will be cooler.

I also deleted the entire pcv system. Further cleaning up the engine bay by removing all those hoses. I just capped off the intake and manifold ports, and put breather filters on the valve covers. Looks sweet and no chance of oil getting sucked into the intake or the turbo!
so on say a pi swapped mustang, you would want to do this to reduce detonation becuase of the higher CR?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator
so on say a pi swapped mustang, you would want to do this to reduce detonation becuase of the higher CR?
technically it does reduce detonation because the engine is burning cooler air. But this really is only effective during normal driving because at WOT the engine closes the egr valve anyways. Thats why it has that vaccum line going to it because once you hit zero vaccum or boost it closes the valve. But I like the fact that all the carbon from the exhaust gasses isnt getting built up inside the intake anymore. Thats going to mean some MUCH cleaner intake valves in the longrun. Keeping the intake clean and free from buildup will keep the engine running longer and keep performance from suffering over time. So to me its well worth it.

Quick Reply: EGR delete