Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 77 II, 06 GT
Send a message via AIM to my77stang Send a message via MSN to my77stang Send a message via Yahoo to my77stang
Default 4.6 won't rev past 2500 and has NO power

just installed a 4.6 into a 96 cougar, motor starts and idles just fine. trying to drive the car it has NO power and will not rev up past about 2500 rpms in gear driving or while in park.

it sat for about 6 months before i got it with a 1/4 tank of gas. we put 15 bucks in the tank last night to thin out the old gas but it made no difference at all. i've checked the spark plug wires and firing order and i had #7 and #8 crossed, fixed that but it made no change. i've unhooked each fuel injector to make sure they were working and i noticed a change each time so they appear to be ok. i've checked over all vacuum lines and sensor plugs and didn't find anything unhooked. tried unplugging MAF sensor to make sure its working and it definitely is, tried unhooking TPS sensor and it seemed like it was workign as well.

im going to grab a fuel filter and fuel pressure gauge now, any idea what the idle pressure should be? any other ideas what could be wrong?

also it looked like 3 of the 4 water jackets where the intake meets the head were weeping last night, but today they look dry. the gaskets were in perfect shape when i installed them and i torqued everything to 18 lbs and used the sequence as listed on the intake manifold.

input would be great
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 Mustang GT
Send a message via Yahoo to white04gt

have ya checked the headlight fluid?

4.10's
Magnaflow Cat-Back
BBK O/R H pipe
Diablotune
17x9 white cobra r rims
275/40/17
No more mods... TOTALED!

06 civic coupe

:: Nothing I can put here will impress anybody as far as mods go ::
white04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
BlackMage
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 96 GTS
Send a message via AIM to BlackMage

sounds like it needs a tune. my supra did the same thing, i put different injectors into it and also a different ignition and the car wouldnt rev past about 1700 rpms. just my .02

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS

Install Guides by yours truly: Clutch cable, PI Intake, Mishimoto Fan, Color your FORD Emblem, Interior Carpet
BlackMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to my77stang Send a message via MSN to my77stang Send a message via Yahoo to my77stang

it has new plugs, wires, and air filter. im going to replace the fuel filter here in a few minutes.

right now fuel pressure gauge shows about 37 @ idle and jumps to mid 40's when i give the throttle a quick rev.

i have other injectors i can use if i have to swap em over, and a couple people have mentioned loosening the cat's to see if they are clogged.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to stangalator

does it stall out if you try to rev it up? if so, sounds like a MAF sensor problem, make sure its clean and plugged in and try it again.

http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...95-t22305.html
^INSTALLED: FULL TILT BOOGIE IRS ^
306.x/298.x
13.41@104.76 (pre-cams and tune)
stangalator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
my77stang
6th Gear Member

replaced all the injectors and it still ran like crap. loosened up the cats where they bolt to the ex manifold and problem solved.

onto my new thread, how to eliminate rear o2 sensors for cheap.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
BlackMage
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 96 GTS
Send a message via AIM to BlackMage

http://www.paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=mil

i have also heard of people just taking them out, plugging the holes, and zip tying the sensors up under the car so they are reading the outside air, and giving a reading that says the cats are working. i havent tried it, but sounds like it might work

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS

Install Guides by yours truly: Clutch cable, PI Intake, Mishimoto Fan, Color your FORD Emblem, Interior Carpet
BlackMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1995, 2500, 46, 500, 95, fine, ford, gt, idles, motor, mustang, past, power, rev, rpms, wont