4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Replacement Keyless Remote

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 PM
klynam

Default Replacement Keyless Remote

I looked on the forum and online but can't find this answer...

When we bought our daughter's 96-GT, we received one key and one keyless entry remote. After some research, I've identified this as a Code Alarm (brand) 2-button unit, FCC ID: GOH-MM6-101890.

I've found a couple of used "Ford" brand replacements on eBay in the $20-$30, everything else online seems to be in the $50 range.

Do I have to buy this exact remote, or can I get one of the other (generic) multi-button remotes and use the 8-cycle on/off procedure to program it?

Anyone ever done this?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:37 PM
BigBadRick
2nd Gear Member

You can buy a new Keyless Entry system for right around the same price. It is easy to install. Maybe 6 or 7 wires total.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem as you. I bought a new remote off ebay for $25 two years ago and did the little remote programming thing. It has worked great since the day i bought it.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Mmm I'm in need of a remote too. Mine was smashed a couple months ago. Anyone have a link on the programming procedure?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 AM
migu87

Its simple , I just did it today with a remote i brought off ebay for 15 bucks . You just open ur trunk take out the front panel and then the driver side paneling theres going to be a black box with two sides the front is empty but the back is where the keyless remote module is located. Theres a grey connector with nothing attached to it in the bottom right front . you just have to put the key in the on position without turning the engine on , and go to the trunk and put a screwdriver inside the grey connect making sure it touches the two pins which will makes the locks cycle and then you push a button on the remote. It should work then turn the key in the off position .
Old 07-26-2009, 08:32 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE

NOTE: The remote keyless entry module erases all previous keyless entry remote transmitters from memory when the keyless entry remote transmitters are programmed or reprogrammed. The remote keyless entry module can store up to four keyless entry remote transmitters in memory. All keyless entry remote transmitters must be programmed (reprogrammed) at the same time.

To program (or reprogram) keyless entry remote transmitter into the remote keyless entry module, perform the following steps:

1. Turn ignition switch to RUN or ACC position and momentarily short the two terminals of the Program Connector (two-pin connector next to the remote keyless entry module. Remove LH luggage compartment trim panel to reach the connector). Both doors should lock and then unlock. Remove shorting pin.
2. Press any button on keyless entry remote transmitter. All front doors should lock and then unlock to verify that keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed.
3. If door locks do not respond, press button again (up to three times maximum with the same keyless entry remote transmitter). If door locks still fail to respond, go to Pinpoint Test A.
4. Repeat Step 2 to program additional keyless entry remote transmitters into the remote keyless entry module (up to a maximum of four keyless entry remote transmitters).
5. Turn ignition switch OFF. Both doors should lock and then unlock.
6. Check operation.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE

NOTE: The remote keyless entry module erases all previous keyless entry remote transmitters from memory when the keyless entry remote transmitters are programmed or reprogrammed. The remote keyless entry module can store up to four keyless entry remote transmitters in memory. All keyless entry remote transmitters must be programmed (reprogrammed) at the same time.

To program (or reprogram) keyless entry remote transmitter into the remote keyless entry module, perform the following steps:

1. Turn ignition switch to RUN or ACC position and momentarily short the two terminals of the Program Connector (two-pin connector next to the remote keyless entry module. Remove LH luggage compartment trim panel to reach the connector). Both doors should lock and then unlock. Remove shorting pin.
2. Press any button on keyless entry remote transmitter. All front doors should lock and then unlock to verify that keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed.
3. If door locks do not respond, press button again (up to three times maximum with the same keyless entry remote transmitter). If door locks still fail to respond, go to Pinpoint Test A.
4. Repeat Step 2 to program additional keyless entry remote transmitters into the remote keyless entry module (up to a maximum of four keyless entry remote transmitters).
5. Turn ignition switch OFF. Both doors should lock and then unlock.
6. Check operation.

thats the procedure for the newer vehicles, the op's is a 96 and requires the procedure that migu87 posted.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 AM
catr_

there you find the procedure for 96 http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/pr...--mustang.html