4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Noob oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Noob oil change question

Ok it's about time for an oil change and this time I've decided to start doing it myself...but I've never done it before so I have some questions...

Firstly is the drain plug the nut screw I see on the left hand side of my oil pan?

And secondly, am I suppose to take off the oil filter by hand? Also my dad said I am suppose to coat the gasket on the new filter with oil and then twist it on by hand until it sits snug and then give it a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn...and not tighten it as much as I can, is that true?

Also does it matter what kind of filter I should be using? I've been using mobil 1 since I've owned the car, should I just stick with that?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 04-08-2009, 02:45 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

your drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan, you cant miss it.

as far is taking off your oil filter, you *should* be able to do it by hand, depending on how tight the guy before you put it on. If its too hard to turn, you can either get yourself a filter wrench, or drive a screwdriver through the bottom and use that for leverage (very nasty and should be a LAST resort option)

your dad is right about how much to tighten. a general rule of thumb is tight enough so it wont leak, but also so you can get it back off again

as far as filters go, you can use about any (as long as its made for your specific car)
Old 04-08-2009, 02:57 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

the drain plug is the bolt on the side of the oil pan

try to take it off by hand, if that doesnt work try a filter wrench, and if it is a particularly stubborn bastard of a filter. use some channel locks. the condition of the old filter is moot.

yes it is ideal to soak the gasket/o-ring on the new filter. i normally fill a new filter half up with fresh oil and make sure the gasket is covered in oil. it softens it up and allows a better seal

it is best to spin the filter on by hand, then tighten it about a quarter to a half turn like your father suggested

i prefer to use K&N oil filters for a few reasons. the main one being that they have a 1 inch nut on the end of them to aid in removing them if they are being stubborn. also, when spending $50 on oil, another $10 on a filter doesnt bother me much

a few more tips:

take off the filler cap before you remove your drain plug, it allows the flow of oil to be smoother and makes lass of a mess

MAKE SURE when taking the old oil filter off that the gasket comes off with it. sometimes they separate from the filter and stick to the engine,, which wont allow the new filter to seat properly.

hope i helped some. have fun
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Alright thanks guys...yeah what you guys have said pretty much is the same as what my dad told me...sounds easy enough. I'll do it tomorrow.

What kind of oil do you guys use by the way? I've only had 2 oil changes since I've owned the car and I've had mobil 1 in it but i'm thinking about switching to RP but I've heard once you go to it, you can't go back (unless it's another fully synthetic oil). Is that true?

Is RP worth switching to?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

i have used both royal purple and mobil 1 full synthetic. i prefer mobil one, seems to last a little longer.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 AM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-...ed-topics-128/
Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

This kinda worries me...no offense or anything, but if you dont know how to spot a drain plug... Or hell you dont know if you are allowed to use tools on the oil filter, you should really just avoid the hassle and pay the 25$ to have someone do it... Thats just my .02$ Sorry bud...

Anyway, when you do tackle this yourself, toss in 6.5qts of Mobil1, and a nice FL820S Motorcraft filter..
Old 04-08-2009, 09:12 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
i have used both royal purple and mobil 1 full synthetic. i prefer mobil one, seems to last a little longer.
What do you mean, by last a little longer?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

it seems to not get as dirty as quick. could be contributed to driving styles too, maybe i had a lot more highway/city miles with one than the other. but when i changed my mobil 1 at 4500 is seemed cleaner than my royal purple at 3000.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Mobil 1 filter and oil will be great, stick with it. Please be sure you know how to properly jack up the car and secure it with jackstands before crawling under it. I've never not been able to remove a filter by hand. Just make sure your hands and the filter are nice and clean that way you can get a good grip on it.

Quick Reply: Noob oil change question