4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

One Windsor, One Romeo head

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:22 PM
al02gt
1st Gear Member

Thumbs down One Windsor, One Romeo head

I went to my local mustang shop today to buy a passenger side Romeo head for my 02 4.6. My head has 11 valve cover bolts and the girdles to hold the cam.

When I got there, he only had a Windsor passenger side PI head. It has 13 bolt holes and doesn't use girdles to hold the cam down.

I bought the complete head, valv cover and other misc stiff for $200.

He told me all the dimensions are exatly the same as my head, with the exception of the valve cover bolts.

Is this the case? Can I run the new windsor head on the passenger side and my stock romeo head on the driver side? I haven't looked yet to see if the timing cover bolt holes line up, and if the cam gear height is the same.

I'm trying to fix a problem with the car, and don't want to go back half-a$$.
So the more I think about it, I don't see how this will fit exactly like the ROmeo head and not make any difference in how the car performs. Seems like they would have changed more than the valve cover bolt positions if they changed castings.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:44 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

it should work but its up to you. the heads are 'suppose' to be the same performance wise but i would just stick with both romeo or both windsor heads. if you bolt them up will the car run, i should.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:53 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Do it right or don't do it at all.
i really dont see the problem?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:54 PM
mustangman281
Banned

It will fit just fine and all bolt holes will match up but you will need to buy different size bolts for those holes in the timing cover to the windsor head.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 PM
al02gt
1st Gear Member

Yeah, after what I read the heads are "supposed" to be the same. Only difference is the valve covers bolts and the pressed on cam gear. Well, and the fact it doesn't have girdles.

I will probably call the guy back and make sure he doesn't have a romeo PI head. I understand the windsor heads are more prone to plug failure, and thats what got me into this in the first place.

I don't like the idea of having mismatched heads on the car.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
al02gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
It will fit just fine and all bolt holes will match up but you will need to buy different size bolts for those holes in the timing cover to the windsor head.
There were 3 guys at the shop that build a lot of 4.6's and that's exactly what they told me. The heads were made at different plants but everything should match up. Just more valve cover bolts.

It's a daily driver so dependibility is a must, more so than performance at this point.

But I'm buying new head bolts and gaskets so I want to do it right the first time. But I'm also on a budget with this car, so I want to make it work if there aren't any mecahnical reasons it won't work.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
i really dont see the problem?
Would you do it on your car?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
al02gt
1st Gear Member

I just took the windor head's cam out, and replaced it with the Romeo cam and girdles. From what I can tell everything bolts right up.

I have some plastigauge so I'll torque them and check the clearances. But from a test fit it seems interchangable.

Before I torque anything I'll get the mic out and measure both cam sizes at the bearings to check size. But I think it would work.

Id feel better if I had matching factory cams, and the proper timing gear. So if it works, only the valve cover bolts will be different.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Would you do it on your car?
if i was positive that everything was the same, then yes

Quick Reply: One Windsor, One Romeo head