4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What tires are better in the corners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:46 PM
95redv6stang
2nd Gear Member

I agree about the PS2's... But, IMHO I say go with the BFG G-force KDW's they are an excelent tire and offer amazing traction.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...=TSWINT&cs=275

As far as tire size... If your going with a 17 I say go with a 275/40-17 All the way around. A stagard fitment will not really suit your application.

With an 18 I say go with a 275/35-18

or for a more fender filling tire 275/40-18
Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Just ordered my American Racing Shelby Torq Thrusts. I went with these because they make them in 17x8, 17x9, and 17x10.5, so I can get a matching set if I want wider in the back later on. And, they are only about a pound heavier than my stock 17x8 Bullitts, so they're still under 23lbs. And they're just sick. The only thing I don't like about them is everyone and their mother has Bullitt style wheels...but who needs to be different? Besides, who has the American Racing ones?

Now on to the tires...kind of leaning towards NT555's because there are a lot of positive reviews on them. Just want to know from someone's first hand experience if they're good in the twisties.

Last edited by sweger; 04-28-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by josh662234
Where's jmac when you need him
haha I am here now. I was on the plane back from Cancun.

There are many diffferent tires you could go for and since you are running 17x9 all around rather than a 10.5 in the rear, you have much better options IMO.

I would avoid the Nitto 555. I ran them before and they are a rather hard compound at least for autocross. They are a great street tire but when you push them you will see their limits very quickly.

I personally run the Falken Azenis and have been very very happy with them. I run them in 275/40 on BBS RX which are the same weight at MM's Konig wheel. They have great turn in and get pretty sticky when hot but at one event I spun at about 55 and the front started to get rather greasy after that much heat. I think in a normal HPDE situation they are a great tire though.

You also have the Kumho XS which I have seen many people running this season. From what I have seen out of them in person they are decent but when it got wet out at one event, the stang that was running them was all over the place and had lost 14+ seconds per lap. He was also running a stiffer spring up front than he is used to and this could have hurt him in the wet with understeer.

You can also look into the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. I have heard great things about them and I think Grif with the Mach is running them for events. IIRC he was very happy with them. I do not have any experience with them though.

Nitto recently came out with the NT05 which is a 200 TW tire that I think is suppose to compete with the rest of these. I have read one lengthy review on them and it looked promising but this was also in a stang magazine so you can assume that that they would not speak bad of them because Nitto is an advertiser. A friend is running them on his coil-over SN-95 and he likes them so far but he is only driving them on the street and not pushing them at HPDE's like some of us.

I know that defcon has been running the Eagle F1 GS-D3's and he has been happy with them. He is also running a 315 in the rear which limits the tire selection a good bit with cornering. I would wait for him for another review in addition to jazzer.

Good luck with the shopping!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Also I recently tried the Vredesteon Ultra-trac Sessenta's on my fathers GT at an event.

I have to say that I was ridiculously impressed with the performance that you get out them for the price. He is running a staggered set up and I was keeping up with a torque arm, panhard, coilover stang on XS's in the dry (1 second behind) and I was very far ahead in the wet. The wet traction was incredible with them. I only lost 2 second between completely dry runs and pouring rain runs.

The treadwear on these is comparable to a Nitto 555 but from my experience they are a much better tire. Also treadwear doesn't mean much because its not standardized but its still a reference.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

JMAC - Thanks for your input! I couldn't for the life of me remember who the guy was with the red Mach that autocrossed, but I was hoping you would chime in.

I kind of figured that the NT555 wasn't a good tire for what I want. The NT05 looks very promising, but is probably a lot more tire than I need. I was also looking into Toyo, but the Proxes 4 looks like it's a bit less than what I need, but I couldn't find a treadwear rating on it anywhere. Also looked at the Proxes T1R but it doesnt come in 275/40, only 265/4 and I really don't want a narrower/shorter tire, even if only by a third of an inch.

Right now, with my wheel purchase and the new info, I am leaning towards a few different tires:
BF Goodrich G-Force Sport - The price is right and they have good reviews, plus the few people on the forums who have reviewed them had nothing but positives to say about them.
Kumho Ecsta MX - Good price and good reviews. Everything I've heard is Kumho is the best bang for the buck tire out there.
BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW - I've heard nothing but good things about them and the price is not too horribly outrageous. This is my number one choice right now I think.
And of course the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 - If these were $40 or so cheaper, this post probably wouldn't exist. Loved these tires on my other cars and have heard nothing but good things about them from guys on here who have them.

I am also seriously debating on the Falken 452 because of price, and I have heard good things about it. Plus the tread is comparable to the T1R and F1 GS. I figure if I go with a little bit of a lower end tire for now, by the time my suspension is where I want it to be I will be in the market for new tires, or at least have an excuse to get some better ones.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by xterm11
Jazzer you say there are a couple of different routes to go with and some are detrimental to the twisties. What would be a good starting point to build it the right way? I'm not looking for anything as amazing as your is (although if I could afford it I would do it in a heartbeat) but, something that will get me started on the right track.
Check out ***THIS*** thread for just the info you seek.

Jazzer on Star Wars (today's riddle for y'all)
Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

I was reading reviews on Discount Tire...does it **** anyone else off when people review a tire after 150 miles and say how horrible/good it is? All the mold release compound isnt even off the tire by then. My F1's on my Civic Si spun like crazy when I was coming out of the parking lot of the tire installer b/c of all the mold release that was on them...they were awesome after about 250 miles though.

...sorry, had to vent on that one. All better now
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ He's blunt, but got a point
Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Sweger,

Out of those new tire choices I would go for the KDW or the MX. The KD's were amazing tires for dry but not for wet and they have been discontinued. I know the KDW is meant for great wet traction also but have not personally used them. I know the Kumho is supposed to be decent but I would go for the XS over the MX. Only $12 more per tire.

My friend uses the Falken FK-452's and he is not entirely happy with them. He likes them on the street but for autocross he wants more. They would be more compared to the Nitto 555 range of tires. Great street tire but lacking when really pushed.

Are you going to be autocrossing/open track or is this just for the street? If you aren't going to any events, you could get away with a less sticky tire that will last a bit longer.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
95redv6stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
I was reading reviews on Discount Tire...does it **** anyone else off when people review a tire after 150 miles and say how horrible/good it is? All the mold release compound isnt even off the tire by then. My F1's on my Civic Si spun like crazy when I was coming out of the parking lot of the tire installer b/c of all the mold release that was on them...they were awesome after about 250 miles though.

...sorry, had to vent on that one. All better now
I can relate in the sense that I work at Discount so what you see on the site I hear first hand from the customer or I read the negative review when it is sent to our corporate office. lol. Good to see people understand tires a little more than get in and drive...

Also, I just wanted to note that with the Eagle F1... the GS D3 is the only one worth a damn IMHO. I do not have first hand experience with them but like I said, I work at discount so I hear from numerous vette owners (OE on some vettes) that they are crap. The NITTO is great for the low price but they are limited to dry weather (if it matters to you) inclement weather will ruin your day. And the Falken 452 is a good tire at a great price but I don't think it will offer the traction you need (but I could be wrong on this one...)

-Chris

Quick Reply: What tires are better in the corners?