4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil port on back of heads leaking? HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Oil port on back of heads leaking? HELP PLZ

Hey guys so rebuilt my engine and while i am building oil pressure i had oil start to leak from the back side of my driver side head!? I had shipped my heads to MMR to get ported and polished so i didnt touch the heads really.. just took them off and put them back on the head. The oil is coming from a bolt hole on the back side (check picture) does anyone know what goes here? is it just a bolt, or what? thanks for any help guys

Sorry the pictures are kinda ****ty very hard to get back there ha :P
Attached Thumbnails Oil port on back of heads leaking? HELP PLZ-getattachment.aspx.jpg   Oil port on back of heads leaking? HELP PLZ-getattachment1.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM
mustangman281
Banned

There is a hole that is supposed to be plugged on the driverside head. It;s an allen key plug. Take it out and apply new thread sealer to it and put it back in.

If its pouring out and there is no plug in there then you put the heads on the wrong side. You will have to pull the front cover off and take the plug out ot the front of the passenger side head and install it in the back of the driverside head.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
There is a hole that is supposed to be plugged on the driverside head. It;s an allen key plug. Take it out and apply new thread sealer to it and put it back in.

If its pouring out and there is no plug in there then you put the heads on the wrong side. You will have to pull the front cover off and take the plug out ot the front of the passenger side head and install it in the back of the driverside head.
Yeah there is no plug in there.. How can you put the heads on the wrong side?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 PM
mustangman281
Banned

They can go on either side. You have to look at the plug to figure out which is set up to be the driverside.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:38 AM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

They can go on either side. You have to look at the plug to figure out which is set up to be the driverside.
x2 ... pull the cover and see if the plug is in the other head at the front of the motor. If it is, you need to remove it and put it in the back of the drivers side head.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

i never new that??? hmmm.... good thing i havnt put the heads on yet.

so if i understand this correctly. the passanger side is able to run with out this allen screw and the driverside has to have it??
Old 05-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

wow i never knew that?! Doesnt the cam only go on one way? wow ha im floored by this haha (little drunk at the moment) alright well i guess ill take off the timing cover and check to see if that oil plug thing is on the passenger side head in front
Old 05-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
i never new that??? hmmm.... good thing i havnt put the heads on yet.

so if i understand this correctly. the passanger side is able to run with out this allen screw and the driverside has to have it??
Yeahhhh so does the passenger side not need one? hmm
Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

i have a 99 are you guys sure i can put them on backwards ha.. i swear there was a back and front haha.. i feel like a idiot for doing that! cause the cam cap that has 3 bolts was towards the front of the cam and thats how i put it back on... maybe MMR just put the por on the wrong side! hmm.. i gotta stop drinking hahaha
Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 PM
mustangman281
Banned

The head are identical twins. MMR I'm sure didn't touch the plug. You just put the heads on the wrong sides.

Quick Reply: Oil port on back of heads leaking? HELP PLZ