4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LCA+UCA installation/pinion angle???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

sweet jazz, im likin the adjustables more i think...
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would be willing to bet 95% of all cars NEVER address pinion angle, lowered or not. I am sure it is a good thing to have it correct, but unless you were REALLY into launching, I cannot imagine you or I would even realize if it were done or not.

Jazzer
Old 05-13-2009, 07:06 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Dude, first its tires you cant decide on, now your goin back and forth on control arms...

If you think you have the tools and/or know how to properly set up adjustables, then by all means get them. Dont buy them then come back here making a post askin "omfg how do i do this I am no good with control arms"

If all you are going to do is set them to stock, then its a waste of a purchase and stick with non adjustables.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

if you go with adjustables and set them to stock length then you really will be wasting your money, but like you said down the road you wont have to do it again. If you had some after market U/L's you could use to set them to the same length then i can see them helping.

Whitefox is right because if you get them with no idea how to do it then you will literally have just spend all that money for new controls arms that are a direct stock replacement (with better bushings). Ill find out today when my stuff comes but im guessing they dont come pre-set at the same lengths and that some adjusting is needed no matter what. It comes down to 1) if you are able to set the pinion angle 2) find some after market U/L's to use to set the length. 3) take it to a shop and have them do it.

From what i understand you have to set it while the car is on the ground. I dont see the LCA's being hard to get to but those UCA's are gana be tough. I was going to use my friends lift and measure it while on the ground, lift and adjust and do that until i have it right. is that ok?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

It would be better if you could use a drive on lift, or an alignment rack
Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I agree with all three of the above posts, but can clarify a bit why the OP is going adjustable LCA's/UCA's.

He and I have exchanged several PM's prior to this thread. He contacted me re: upgrades for not only launching, but good arms for twisties as well. I ALWAYS recommend those wanting more than just straight line traction have a spherical end on each of the four arms (torque-box end of LCA's). A solid poly/poly LCA/UCA is going to be fine for the 1/4 and good launching. BUT, a set with a spherical end will allow MUCH better articulation of the rear axle for the corners to eliviate much of the quadra-bind 4-link on the Stang. Most that have the spherical end (Heim joint) will be adjustable, so that is why it even comes into play.

Although I believe the OP is thinking this a little too hard, just wants to do it right the first time and avoid problems from the get-go

Jazzer hopin' he is not tellin' tales out of school
Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Well FWIW, I had my old Cobra lowered, and had UPR control arms (non adjustable) and (occasionally) I took corners as fast as I could take them...and drag raced the hell out of it. No problems there...
Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

wow, alot has been said while i have been away.

I hardly feel it to be a waste of money to get the adjustables because if nothing else, like jazzer mentioned, spherical bushings FTW. Also, i dont see it being necessary to use a lift since i can set them to stock length, install them, then adjust them when i decide to lower it later. So thats the verdict, im getting the adjustables.

On a side note, tires should be in today, so im going to see about dropping them off and hopefully i can find someone to come with me so i can drive my stang back home tonite. I cant wait to test out those gears....
Old 05-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
It would be better if you could use a drive on lift, or an alignment rack
ill try that out with the drive up lift, still looking for an alignment rack that i can drive up on in my area.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:39 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Kmelfi11
ill try that out with the drive up lift, still looking for an alignment rack that i can drive up on in my area.

Ask TJ's goofy *** to sneek you into the dealer he works at... Holman isnt it??