4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

question about having wheels widened

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 AM
5.flow
2nd Gear Member

Default question about having wheels widened

I have a set of 1999 svt wheels i was thinking of getting widened to fit 275 in front and 315 in rear for my 2002 gt.
You'd think being a cobra wheel Ford would have gone with something wider than 8 inches....pfff.
I know it would be cheaper to just buy new wheels but i love the look of the '99 wheels, so my questions are:
1. can this be done without messing with the wheel offset?
2. anyone do this and how much did it cost?
thanks guys.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

i know some friends who have had it done, and im getting ready to ship mine out as well cuz i cant find mine in 11". theres a couple of good companys out there. Weldcraft Wheels, Wheels America, The Wheel Shoppe, Radical Engineering Design and Fabrication to name a few. gonna be around $150-200 a wheel depending on where you go. The offset will be changed so you will need a wheel spacer, b/c they can only add more to the inside of the rim. ill see if i can find some pics

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/
Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Agreed with JJ above

I currently have a pair of wheels at Weldcraft going 9"s to 10"s and would NOT send them to anyone else!!! I did LOTS of research prior to going with them and have zero regrets. I have my current set of Summer wheels that were widened by James and came out fantastic in all respects. Cost is $225 per wheel reguardless of how wide it is made and definetely WILL affect off-set.

You are gonna have trouble going that wide on your wheels as the spacer needed would be HUGE! I run a set of 1/2" spacers on my rears only due to going from a 10.5" to an 11" wheel. I have replaced my lugs with longer/stronger Moroso ones and all good. You would need a 2"~2.5" spacer to go 10.5" and maintain clearance. This is WAY beyond anything I would ever consider going. I think you need to break down and pick up a new set of wheels or not go nearly as wide.

I have seen 1" spacers, but would not run them myself.

Jazzer
Old 05-14-2009, 04:52 PM
5.flow
2nd Gear Member

ah well thanks for the info guys, kinda sucks for me though,
no way i'm going to run 2.5 inch wheel spacers lol!
I'll prolly go with different wheels then.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:54 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Agreed with JJ above

I currently have a pair of wheels at Weldcraft going 9"s to 10"s and would NOT send them to anyone else!!! I did LOTS of research prior to going with them and have zero regrets. I have my current set of Summer wheels that were widened by James and came out fantastic in all respects. Cost is $225 per wheel reguardless of how wide it is made and definetely WILL affect off-set.

You are gonna have trouble going that wide on your wheels as the spacer needed would be HUGE! I run a set of 1/2" spacers on my rears only due to going from a 10.5" to an 11" wheel. I have replaced my lugs with longer/stronger Moroso ones and all good. You would need a 2"~2.5" spacer to go 10.5" and maintain clearance. This is WAY beyond anything I would ever consider going. I think you need to break down and pick up a new set of wheels or not go nearly as wide.

I have seen 1" spacers, but would not run them myself.

Jazzer
weldcraft cuts the inside of the rim and ads a ring, so the only thing that is effected is the backspacing. your wheel will sit in the same spot as it is now, just the backside will now be closer to the frame.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Your correct in that the front of the wheel will remain in the same location, but the off-set is no longer the same. The off-set is a measurement based on the center-line of the wheel and generally outward about 30mm (read as +30mm) for an 8" wheel meant for an SN95 Stang. If one adds 2" to the back-space, the off-set becomes nearer to +83mm or so....

I usually like to define clearance on a ride via back-space anyway. MUCH easier to find out where the wheel will sit and if clearance is available.

Jazzer
Old 05-15-2009, 04:50 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

no need for a 2.5" spacer. if you go to a 10.5 or 11 then id say 1" to 1.5" spacer would work fine. you cant even tell it has a spacer either. ill see if i can find the link for the spacers.

Originally Posted by 5.flow
ah well thanks for the info guys, kinda sucks for me though,
no way i'm going to run 2.5 inch wheel spacers lol!
I'll prolly go with different wheels then.
+1 offset will be affected regardless of how much is added.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Your correct in that the front of the wheel will remain in the same location, but the off-set is no longer the same. The off-set is a measurement based on the center-line of the wheel and generally outward about 30mm (read as +30mm) for an 8" wheel meant for an SN95 Stang. If one adds 2" to the back-space, the off-set becomes nearer to +83mm or so....

I usually like to define clearance on a ride via back-space anyway. MUCH easier to find out where the wheel will sit and if clearance is available.

Jazzer
Old 05-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The best way to confirm the spacer needed would be to measure the current back-space of your rear wheels. Figure that your MAX back-space will be 6.8" and do the math.

I was thinking about this earlier today and think that you "may" be able to get away with less than 2" spacer, but I would guess not much.

Jazzer