4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Home made o2 extensions

Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default Home made o2 extensions

36$ is what o2 extensions cost if you have Long tube headers. Depending on what you have in your garage this could save you about 30 bucks. I just needed to replenish my solder when I was done.

This is what you need.

8 equal lengths of wire. It could be different colors or all the same like what I used here.

Soldering iron/gun
Solder
Heat shrink tubing
Black tape
Wire cutters/strippers
Convoluted Tubing (CT) 1/4 or 3/8's
Heat Gun or lighter
Wire pick

I will be extending the cars harness but it can as easily be done to the o2 sensor itself for easy access. The benefit of extending the harness is the harness isn't going to go bad and need replacing.

• First step would be to clean and clear away the tubing from the o2 wiring harness. Pull the main wiring away from the harness so you can access more of them for relooming later.

• I will be cutting one wire at a time and extendeding each wire individually.
  • Next prepare each wire. Use your favorite technique for twisting and prepping the wire for solder.

• Next use your Soldering Iron and heat your wire and solder your connections. There are lots of different ways to do this but this is the noob way to make it was easy.

• Heat the wire and touch the tip of the Iron to the wire, then going slow, brush your wire against the tip allowing it to melt into the wire.

• Now that you have the wire solder on one side, cut your heat shrink. 2 pieces per wire. This is how I did it so I didn't forget the second heat shrink. I tied a knot on the end of one wire with the 2 pieces already on it. (Everyone does it)

• Next use your heat gun or lighter to shrink the tubing around the wiring.

• Here is the one side competed. I also included one done without heat shrink if someone wants to use black tape instead. (I did redo it, lol.)

• Next use your 1/4 or 3/8 CT.
  • Starting from the base nearest the harness use your back tape to wrap around the wires, then onto the CT making sure to overlap with every motion around the harness.
  • Here is the finished product.

Last edited by Sxynerd; 05-15-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:48 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Good write up mike. I had to do this when I swapped to my new midpipe, the O2 bungs were lower and didn't have enough play in the wire to get them screwed on.

Looks like we have the same soldering iron

Oh, and BTW, if you do a lot of electrical work, you can go to Home depot or something and buy a LB at a time of any kind of solder that you want, with or without lead, flux core, solid core, anything you'd like
Old 05-14-2009, 11:55 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Good write up, this should go up in the "How-To" sticky. Are there still contributor tags with this new layout?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys, I Love wiring more than I like doing anything else on cars. (well, except driving them of course!)
Old 05-15-2009, 08:14 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Thanks guys, I Love wiring more than I like doing anything else on cars. (well, except driving them of course!)
You're definitely an odd duck
Old 05-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
You're definitely an odd duck
I'm odd? You're a moose, that's named Hank and can drive a car and type on a computer! Now, that's odd.

Last edited by Sxynerd; 05-15-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:03 AM
FrestylMotoX01
1st Gear Member

thats good info, I was fortunate enough to not have to add any wires when I installed my midpipe.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FrestylMotoX01
thats good info, I was fortunate enough to not have to add any wires when I installed my midpipe.
This would be needed for people with LongTube Headers. The stock harness leading to the front O2's are not long enough to reach the O2's without touching the headers.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Do you have a catted mid pipe?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Do you have a catted mid pipe?
Me? No.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Home made o2 extensions