Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
jvog
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2002 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Absolutely, that is not something to dick with. If you reuse a stretch bolt, then you are running a huge risk of them breaking, especially if you are putting down alot of power. Think of it like this, one broken bolt = bye bye motor. Want to risk that?

I went to the local ford house and ordered the stock botls for $4 each. I would go ARP, but $$$ and time are running short.
Some block use 2 bolt mains and some use 4 right? I'm not even sure how many a teksid block has. I may just get new bolts from Ford, we'll see what the guy says when he calls me back tomorrow.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
JC316
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvog View Post
Some block use 2 bolt mains and some use 4 right? I'm not even sure how many a teksid block has. I may just get new bolts from Ford, we'll see what the guy says when he calls me back tomorrow.
I believe that some use a 4 bolt main. My 2V has 2 main bolts, 2 side bolts and 2 jack screws per main cap.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
supercotufa

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Mustang GT
Default Ford Racing reusable bolts

The main bearing caps have 6 bolts each and 30 altogether for the engine: two main bolts closer to the centerline (13mm heads) for the bearing, two jack bolts closer to the block walls (10mm heads and 8mm bolts 1.25 journals), and two external (10mm head with cup washer).

The TTY bolts that came from factory are a one-time use type: once they are torqued they permanently elongate into the plastic range (stretch with no return to original length) of the material. If you try to use them again they will most likely snap or will not have the same strength as intended. Any failure in this part will be catastrophic to the engine, so don't take any chances and do not listen to the non-sense from the shop. That being said: I would check their homework after they are done, since they show some lack of knowledge on the characteristics of these engines.

I just ordered the full Ford Racing reusable set of bolts for the aluminum blocks (96-04) from AmericanMuscle.com for $44.99. I would recommend going this route Check them out.
ARP bolts are also an excellent option.

Good luck with your built!

Last edited by supercotufa; 04-14-2014 at 04:01 PM.
supercotufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:36 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, 50, arp, auto, bearing, bearings, bolts, cap, engine, logo, main, mustang, parts, reusable, reuse