4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Radio Interference Capacitor

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM
gdaunis

Default Radio Interference Capacitor

Hi,

I believe I have a loose RFI capacitor and/or connector. Does anyone know the location of the RFI capacitor and connector on a '00 GT?

gdaunis
Old 05-19-2009, 04:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If you are referring to the ignition system RFI caps, on the '03 they are air-gap capacitors (two rather odd looking "C" shaped things) at the front top of the head near the cam cover.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
gdaunis

Thanks. That's what I was looking for, but it did not solve my problem.
I have Mach 460 speaker buzz that changes pitch with RPM and starts when I hit a pothole, or go over a curb, or slam the hood, etc. Goes away overnight, or until the car is re-started and moved. Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Check the ground points on the frame(beside battery)/block and the battery make sure nothing is loose....Also go throught and check all the harnesses at the mach amps/behind radio make sure everything is plug in all the way and not loose....
Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There is a connector in the cable feeding the sub woofer amps that is a known trouble spot, it's under the carpet on the driver's side just aft of the dead pedal.

It gets loose and corroded, and affects the shielding for the signal to the sub-woofer amps. Se if banging your foot on the floor just behind the dead pedal makes to noise go away, or changes at all--if so it's that connector. Remove the door sill and pull back the carpet to get at the connector, clean it, and pack it with dielectric grease before reconnecting...
Old 06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
gdaunis

I found the connector, but it's not loose or corroded. Banging my foot on the floor by the dead pedal starts the noise, but doesn't make it go away. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

It must be a Microsoft car. Remove the battery open your left door, glove box and trunk and close them all at the same time and wait for the bsod to appear again, :0)

All else fails, uninstall the engine then reinstall.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by gdaunis
I found the connector, but it's not loose or corroded. Banging my foot on the floor by the dead pedal starts the noise, but doesn't make it go away. Any other suggestions?
I have found that "manipulating" (sounds chiropractic doesn't it) the entire harness can make it go away for a period of time--also foot-thumping further back along the side will often make it better.

I don't use the sound system all that much (it's a generational thing) so I just live with it, someday I'm going to open it up and replace the coax cable to the rear amps--I thinks that's the real problem. Because of the placement the get crushed and develop capacitive "leaks"....
Old 07-12-2022, 09:24 AM
hackattack

Originally Posted by cliffyk
If you are referring to the ignition system RFI caps, on the '03 they are air-gap capacitors (two rather odd looking "C" shaped things) at the front top of the head near the cam cover.
Hi I’m not too good with fuel injection and all the stuff that comes with it I recently bought a mustang from a guy that the intake and everything was off so I have put it back together but can’t seem to get it to run I’ve noticed I have the plugs for the two capacitor things up front of the block but one is broken and one isn’t there would this make the vehicle not run?
Old 07-13-2022, 07:24 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by hackattack
Hi I’m not too good with fuel injection and all the stuff that comes with it I recently bought a mustang from a guy that the intake and everything was off so I have put it back together but can’t seem to get it to run I’ve noticed I have the plugs for the two capacitor things up front of the block but one is broken and one isn’t there would this make the vehicle not run?
no, they do not keep the engine from running. Find out whats missing. Air, Fuel, Spark, Compression