4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

T56 won't go into 6th.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Default T56 won't go into 6th.

I'm going to light this piece of crap on fire... *ugh*

I don't know if it's the tranny that's the issue or if it's the clutch that's the problem, but I'm just about at the end of my rope. It's an 03/04 Cobra T56 in a 98 Cobra.

I just installed a new 03 Cobra clutch cable and I have a firewall adjuster, but the pedal is so stiff it feels like the cable is going to break. (No matter where it's adjusted.)

When I'm driving the car down the road, I can get the car into any gear except 6th. It'll go in once in a while, but usually it just grinds.

I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point.

I hate this car.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK.... I had THIS EXACT SAME ISSUE and this could be easy to confirm.

Lift the car up so you have access to the bell-housing cover for the cable. Remove the cover and just push the clutch fork "straight away from you". NOT in the direction of the cable, but in toward the passenger side. My clutch fork was coming off of the pin inside and gave the symptoms you are describing.

LMK

Jazzer
Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
OK.... I had THIS EXACT SAME ISSUE and this could be easy to confirm.

Lift the car up so you have access to the bell-housing cover for the cable. Remove the cover and just push the clutch fork "straight away from you". NOT in the direction of the cable, but in toward the passenger side. My clutch fork was coming off of the pin inside and gave the symptoms you are describing.

LMK

Jazzer
Thanks Jazzer.

The interesting thing is when I dropped the car off for some work, the shop complained about the fork being off the ball. I put the tranny in the car myself, so I KNOW it was on properly. They pulled the tranny and said they reset it, but if the fork is bad, then it could easily be doing it again.

Can I just look up in there to see it's off, or do I need to pull it down?

I put a new 03 Cobra clutch in the car today and the fork lays against the bottom of the tranny. (basically hangs down to the ground.)

The more I think about it, this could very well be the issue.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

This sounds like the clutch fork for sure!!!!

BUT.... I would also guess that the T.O. bearing is bad as it cannot come completely off of the ball as the bearing prohibits it. I have some pics somewhere in thread in the Saleen section from my first trip to Disneyland with the gal pal (just started a search now). This was September of '07 and just BEARLY made it out of town and was worried I would have to get a clutch installed in L.A.

OK... search is done (7:19 pm)

See Jazzer comes through in the clutch and has some more details. The pics have since been deleted from Photobucket, but can find them if needed.

Jazzer
Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Thanks a million, Eric. I really appreciate the help and when you're right, you're right.

The TOB is cracked, dude.

I'll slide under the car once the sun comes up and take some pics.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Cool

Doesn't sound like pics will be of any help, but LMK. Unfortunately, you will have to pull the trans to correct the issues, but be sure to replace ALL the parts when in there. New T.O. bearing (obviously needed, but recommend going STOCK one!) pivot bolt, clutch fork, possibly a pressure plate, and the guide that goes over the input shaft as the T.O. bearing rides on this piece. This is VERY likely to be damaged and almost guarantee you will need it. I was able to clean mine up and reuse it, but only had the issue for a week or so and was not as bad as yours sounds to be.

Take a look at my T-56 swap thread and may give you some insight, IDK. I have a small video of a return-magnet I installed to relieve the T.O. bearing of the "continuous rotation" to which it was designed. I think this is a bad idea, so came up with this:

This little gem keeps the bearing off of the pressure plate so it does not spin 100% of the time the motor is running. Was not much work and does a great job.

Jazzer

Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Fortunately, I've got another TOB retainer in my garage. It's brand new, but thanks to Florida's awesome weather it's got some surface rust on it.

I'll work on cleaning it up later today and get ready to use it.

I'm just going to replace the entire clutch while it's out. I'm not looking to skimp on something while it's all out, only to have to go back in later. The issue is I'm looking to make close to 800 RWHP. The cost of a clutch that will survive under those conditions is ridiculous.

Where'd you get the magnet? That's a cool setup and I'd like to look into adding it to the setup.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

It is actually a magnet from a computer hard-drive. Just find one that is dead and tear it open. I recommend a high mega-bite HD as the magnets are stronger. The magnet will have a little bracket that has a hole and can be used for the bolt to hold it close, but not touching the clutch fork.

These magnets are EXTREMELY strong and can easily feel it's strength when I apply the clutch. The beauty is that once the clutch is farther away, 1/2" or so, the pull is no longer felt. I tried a spring, but clutch got harder as it was pressed.

Jazzer
Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Dude, I can't find the spring and the plunger.

The shop that helped me wrap up some fabrication issues pulled it out and tossed it, thinking it'd be better than wiring up the 12v or simply pushing it through the gate. (Not a big deal, really.)

Ugh... I hope this isn't expensive.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
It is actually a magnet from a computer hard-drive. Just find one that is dead and tear it open. I recommend a high mega-bite HD as the magnets are stronger. The magnet will have a little bracket that has a hole and can be used for the bolt to hold it close, but not touching the clutch fork.

These magnets are EXTREMELY strong and can easily feel it's strength when I apply the clutch. The beauty is that once the clutch is farther away, 1/2" or so, the pull is no longer felt. I tried a spring, but clutch got harder as it was pressed.

Jazzer
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the magnet and bracket uninstalled, would you? It'll make it easy for my non-computer disassembling self to find.

Quick Reply: T56 won't go into 6th.