4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Would you buy a used slp cat back ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Ford93Bronco
1st Gear Member

Default Would you buy a used slp cat back ?

He is asking $150 But he said he would take $115. Do you think this is a good deal? The cheapest I found an slp cat back online was $460.
Here is his description

(SLP catback with LM II mufflers. Has NO tips. I used them for another catback. Light/Small dent on one muffler/clamp (shown in pictures). The mufflers in the kit have around 10k miles (approx, I'm guessing...less than 1 year).

Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

why not? It'll be under the car and out of sight. Looks like a good deal.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

It looks like that exhaust was cut off, maybe I just can't see the flanges. Its a good deal if you know someone than can weld it on

Last edited by jvog; 05-19-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Yea it definitely looks like it was cut off, so if you can weld or can get it welded cheap then I would buy it.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

im sorry but that look like a POS. i wouldnt buy it. doesnt even have the turn down pipes that go between the tips and the axles hump section (i have the lm2 catback)

edit: okay maybe they do i looked closer at the pic. if you buy that catback your gonna have a big *** headache after your done trying to make everything fit with those bent pipes and missing clamps, etc. that catback has VERY tight tolerance and everything has to be in good condition to fit good

Last edited by avexhype; 05-19-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:07 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avexhype
im sorry but that look like a POS. i wouldnt buy it. doesnt even have the turn down pipes that go between the tips and the axles hump section (i have the lm2 catback)

edit: okay maybe they do i looked closer at the pic. if you buy that catback your gonna have a big *** headache after your done trying to make everything fit with those bent pipes and missing clamps, etc. that catback has VERY tight tolerance and everything has to be in good condition to fit good

+1 it could turn out to be a real nightmare if things don't line up right.

The only way i would consider it is if you really...really like the sound of SLP II. Then it may justify the possible pain in the *** that it could become.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

dont be a cheap ***, just buy it new.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

It's easy for other people to tell you to buy it new when it's not their money, isn't it.

I've bought several used exhausts that were cut in the same place. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to cut the exhaust to get it off.

Any reputable muffler or performance shop can weld it on and it won't hit anything.

For 115, you can't go wrong. (IMO)

Buy it dude.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Wait, are the exhaust tips included?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:32 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

i dont know what any of these people are talking about-that system doesn't look cut off at all to me. the only breaks in the setup are right where they are sectioned/clamped together. And the pic clearly shows the flanges still intact up front.

That small dent can easily be rounded out with a bit of work, wont cost you a dime to do it though, just some elbow grease. the tips can be had on ebay brand new for around 35$ each last i checked. I have also seen the tips for sale on here in the classifieds section before.

The system is VERY forgiving, as it is clamped together not welded, so a smal dent/bend wont kill you to make it fit properly. There is A LOT of room for adjustment in these systems.

I would buy it if i were you. Period.

On a side note, those look remarkably like LM1s, NOT LM2s...but the pic is so blurry i can't be sure.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used slp cat back ?