4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch/Trans install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch/Trans install?

How difficult is this job with a car on jack stands and without a trans jack? Also, is there a specialty tool for the pilot bearing?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

i would recommend a tranny jack, even a cheap 35 dollar pos from ahrbor frieght, or at the very least rig up a platform to a floor jack. with the car on jackstands there isnt much room to hold the tranny with your knees, and its almost too high to hold on your chest, so i would def. setup something to support the tranny. Otherwise though, not too bad of an install really. I did it and im not a mechanic.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Last time I did it it took about 3 hours. I don't use tranny jacks cause they are a pita. Just make sure you have lots of extensions.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Yea its not a bad job... make sure before you put the new clutch in you get the flywheel turned at a machine shop...

Air tools and long extensions + swivel sockets are your best friend. You can wrestle the trans out by hand, or use an ATV jack (i just so happened to have one handy lol)

I find it easier to just have you and a buddy lift the trans in and out... so eat your wheaties.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

+1 on the buddy system there, thats how i did it, but if ur by yourself you'll need a jack of some sort!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:33 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

You will need a bearing puller for the pilot bearing.

How do you reach the bolts on the top of the bellhousing? They seem like they are too hard to reach without moving the motor. Extensions or what?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak

How do you reach the bolts on the top of the bellhousing? They seem like they are too hard to reach without moving the motor. Extensions or what?
If you dont have a bearing puller, you can use a grease gun to hydraulically press the bearing out.. You pump the grease into the center of the bearing and it will push it out eventually....

And to get to the top bolts, you drop the trans crossmember, let the trans hang and use long extensions to get to the bolts.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

with the trans crossmember out, the rear of the trans drops down enough to expose the top bolts.......long extension and swivel socket is still needed
Old 05-22-2009, 11:34 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I guess you need to remove the shifter before you drop the tranny?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

I guess you need to remove the shifter before you drop the tranny?
u dont really have to , just the **** and the boots.....or alot of people just remove the handle from the shifter base

Quick Reply: Clutch/Trans install?