4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2000 GT issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM
crazy horse
2nd Gear Member

Default 2000 GT issues

It seems like there is always something wrong with my car, brakes, suspension noises, rattles, you name it. Towards the end of last year my check engine light came on and the codes showed all four O2 sensors were bad.
It seemed unlikely that this was the case but we couldn't find anything else so eventually replaced them all since it was around 75k anyway. The light stayed off for about a week and came back on with 5 codes, something about the sensor heater circuits and something else. It then went off and stayed off up until a few weeks ago, now there's only 2 codes.

Anyway, lately it seems like there's been a ticking. Last weekend it seemed to have gotten much louder and my rpm's would bounce between 500 and 1k sitting idle and will sometimes die shifting into gear. It's always had a problem occasionally when you shift it into gear the rpm's will go way down then rev up.

We took the passenger exhaust loose to get to the sensor, could this noise be an exhaust leak? Also any ideas what's causing those codes?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 10:21 PM
crazy horse
2nd Gear Member

I sprayed out my iac with some fuel system cleaner. The rpm's seem more stable when putting it in reverse or drive, but I wasn't able to take it for a drive.

I think the noise may be the exhaust. It's pretty loud if you get down by the wheel well. Won't hurt to get under there and check it out tomorrow... assuming I can find a swivel to get up in there.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:28 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by crazy horse
It seems like there is always something wrong with my car, brakes, suspension noises, rattles, you name it. Towards the end of last year my check engine light came on and the codes showed all four O2 sensors were bad.
It seemed unlikely that this was the case but we couldn't find anything else so eventually replaced them all since it was around 75k anyway. The light stayed off for about a week and came back on with 5 codes, something about the sensor heater circuits and something else. It then went off and stayed off up until a few weeks ago, now there's only 2 codes.

Anyway, lately it seems like there's been a ticking. Last weekend it seemed to have gotten much louder and my rpm's would bounce between 500 and 1k sitting idle and will sometimes die shifting into gear. It's always had a problem occasionally when you shift it into gear the rpm's will go way down then rev up.

We took the passenger exhaust loose to get to the sensor, could this noise be an exhaust leak? Also any ideas what's causing those codes?

Thanks
What are the codes?

Look 'em up here...
Old 05-31-2009, 05:08 PM
crazy horse
2nd Gear Member

The codes are p0155 and p0161.
We tried cleaning the connectors and unhooking the computer and reseating it. I guess we'll try putting the old sensors back in those 2.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Could be a bad ground causing what seems to be random problems. You can try checking your grounds and cleaning them up. Wishful thinking anyway.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 AM
00' GT
2nd Gear Member

i surely feel your pain! my 00' gt's startin to f@#k up alot too! i had a noise similiar to the one you described, it was a collector exhaust leak. another weird noise ended up bein the rt front hub bearing! and mine does tha rev up-down thing too! im bout to change the motor out along w/everything else so hopely that wiil help! lol!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by crazy horse

Thanks
You drive a F.O.R.D. Fix Or Repair Daily, get used to it.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
boylanp

My '01 GT makes the noise too. '00 GT did the noise tend to go away as the engine warmed up? Or did it stay constant even after it warmed up? I thought that as the engine heated up it should seal up the leak, thats why I didn't think I had an exhaust leak, because the noise stays. Also my car does the rev up and down thing too, did anyone ever figure out what that was?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I vert makes all sorts of noises too and I am only at 32K. I just turn the radio up....guess that why I went with a loud exhaust.