4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Throw out bearing?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Default Throw out bearing?

As soon as I push the clutch down, even just 1/4" I hear this whining/chattering noise. That's the throw out bearing going right? If so, is replacement of this relatively easy? What do I need to unbolt/take off in order to get the tranny off? Any comments are helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Drag5.0mustang
2nd Gear Member

i think i have the same problem right now
mines making this squeaking noise its like
squeak squeak squeak squeak ( but really fast) idk whats going on!?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:02 AM
luv2golf

Changing the Throw out bearing is a simple fix. The biggest issue is how to drop the transmission if you don't have a transmission jack. I'm going to change ours this week and I don't have a trans. jack. I'll just come up with a way to support it using jack stands and a floor jack. I'll let you know what worked for me.

First you will need to remove the shift know, boat around the lever, and lever. Then jack up car and remove exhaust and drive shaft. The manual says to just loosen and secure to side the mufflers and tail pipe, on cobra it says to remove it. I'll let you know when I'm done what I did. After removing exhaust, using a black marker, mark the position of the drive shaft bracket that is attached to the rear end. You need to make sure it goes back exactly how is was. Then remove the 4 bolts that hold the bracket to the rear end. Lower shaft and just pull it out the transmission. Then disconnect cables, sensors and connectors from transmission. Support the transmission first, then unbolt. Slide the transmission back to expose clutch. Now the manual does not tell you to how to lower the transmission while it is still attached to engine. I know on my vette, I could only lower it about an inch, then pull it back to clear the bearing. I'll let you know what happens on that also. Then unbolt the clutch release lever and remove bearing and lever. replace and put it all back together in reverse order.

Now that's basically what the shop manuals tell you what to do. I have not done it yet, but I'll let you know any issues that I have.

I have read to use the OEM bearing or TimKin. Good Luck to ya.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
DIY
2nd Gear Member

You also need to remove the starter. Do this after you remove the exhaust midpipe. Be prepared to catch transmission oil once you remove the driveshaft and began to lower the transmission. You may also want to consider changing your clutch and resurfacing the flywheel while you 're at it. You will need a swivel and extensions (18''-24'') for your ratchet wrench.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DIY
You also need to remove the starter. Do this after you remove the exhaust midpipe. Be prepared to catch transmission oil once you remove the driveshaft and began to lower the transmission. You may also want to consider changing your clutch and resurfacing the flywheel while you 're at it. You will need a swivel and extensions (18''-24'') for your ratchet wrench.
resurface for me = green pad on my air tool, lol.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 PM
luv2golf

Originally Posted by DIY
Is there a seal that needs to be replaced when you pull the shaft?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 PM
DIY
2nd Gear Member

There is a seal at the rear of the transmission. If its in good condition and there are no leaks -with the driveshaft in place of course -then leave it alone.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

If the rear main seal is leaking, it would be a great time to change it. The TOB shouldn't be that bad a job if you have a decent set of tools. very few bolts to deal with if you are just going to change the TOB.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:31 PM
luv2golf

I'm about to pull transmission, The books don't talk about supporting engine. I've read a little about that here. On my 99 vette I had to support the rear of the engine. But it sounds like you need to support the front of the engine? confused
Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luv2golf
I'm about to pull transmission, The books don't talk about supporting engine. I've read a little about that here. On my 99 vette I had to support the rear of the engine. But it sounds like you need to support the front of the engine? confused
IIRC, on the Vette, the transmission IS the rear differential and not bolted directly to the engine. The transmission is directly bolted to the engine on the Mustang. Without the counter weight, the engine will rock forward.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throw out bearing?