4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MAF Question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

Question MAF Question.

I cant ask my friend because he's closed. Can't ask ATI 'cause their closed too. Soooo.

I cleaned off my maf sensor the other day when I was running on 7 cylinders. I've cleaned it many times before and did nothing different.
I was throwing a P1151 code several times. Then I began throwing a P0172.
I don't know if I damaged the maf sensor but I am going to data log my car this weekend to see if the maf is around 0.80 volts and to see other data as well.
Here is the question of concern. If I buy another 90mm maf, would I still have to recalibrate my ECU.

I'm doing a compression test this weekend too.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Well it seems you might have a rich condition....

172 is a rich code for bank 1.... and 1152 is the 02 (bank2) lean... and it throws the 1151 code when an "over-rich" condition.

I see its Procharged...how long has it been acting up? what MAF and injectors/pump do you have now? Heres a list of "possible" causes straight from Ford for each code.

1151 ~~

• Electrical:
    • Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S
    • Water in harness connector
    • Open/Shorted HO2S circuit
    • Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
    • Damaged HO2S
    • Damaged PCM
  • Fuel System:
    • Excessive fuel pressure
    • Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
    • Leaking fuel pressure regulator
    • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
    • Vapor recovery system
  • Induction System:
    • Air leaks after the MAF
    • Vacuum Leaks
    • PCV system
    • Improperly seated engine oil dipstick
  • EGR System:
    • Leaking gasket
    • Stuck EGR valve
    • Leaking diaphragm or EVR
  • Base Engine:
    • Oil overfill
    • Cam timing
    • Cylinder compression
    • Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)
172 ~~

Air Measurement System
  • MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, corroded connector, etc.).
Fuel System
  • Fuel pressure regulator (vacuum hose off, diaphragm leak, malfunctioning, etc.).
  • Leaking fuel injectors.
  • Fuel return line restricted.
  • Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
  • EVAP canister purge valve leak (when canister is full).
Base engine
  • Engine oil contamination.

Maybe the MAF is messed up. Its hard for me to actually tell you without being there and datalogging it myself. Sorry for the long post hope this points you in the right direciton
Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 AM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

I have a SCT tuner that I use to read and erase codes. I'm aware of every code, what the mean and the problems related to them.

What I don't know is if I replace my 90MM lightning MAF with a new lightning 90MM maf, will I have to do any recalibrating??????
Old 06-04-2009, 07:31 AM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Obsequious1
I have a SCT tuner that I use to read and erase codes. I'm aware of every code, what the mean and the problems related to them.

What I don't know is if I replace my 90MM lightning MAF with a new lightning 90MM maf, will I have to do any recalibrating??????
if you replace it with the same MAFS and do not change its location or position, then you will not need to re-tune
Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There's something else, other than the MAF, wrong--a bad MAF would not cause a rich code on one bank and a lean code on the other...
Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

Sorry, I was wasted when I typed up this thread. It was a P1152 code not P1151. I talked to Erik at Swarr Auto and he said if I buy another 90mm Maf. I need to calibrate it.

Two mechanics at work said I wouldn't need to. Hmmmmm.

There's something else, other than the MAF, wrong--a bad MAF would not cause a rich code on one bank and a lean code on the other...
I remember when I read my first codes and I swear the first time was P1152. I cleared the code. Then the next time my CEL came on, there were two codes. If I remember correctly, it was the P0172 and P1157. You'd think it would've been a P1158.
Damn it, I'm all confused now with these codes so much that I can't remember anything but the P0172. I should cut back on the rum.
Anyway, the last 4 times I tripped the CEL, it turned out to be the P0172.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

You shouldn't have to change the transfer function with another Lightning MAF as long as you don't change the position or the clocking of the MAF.

Even then it could alter the TF slightly, it would be worth monitoring that's for sure.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

You shouldn't have to change the transfer function with another Lightning MAF as long as you don't change the position or the clocking of the MAF.
I just spoke with " John " at ATI and he said the same thing. Although he did say that if Swarr said it needed to be calibrated then it probably should.
I just don't get it. Red Hill ford mechanic said that they only deal with stock units and if my " stock " car needed a new Maf then no, it wouldn't need to be calibrated.
That same rule should apply to a 90mm as well, you'd think.
Didn't the 03/04 Ford Lightnings come with a 90mm Maf. and if so, replacing that " stock " Maf would be as simple as replacing the stock Maf on any car, ergo, no need for any recalibration.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Obsequious1
I just spoke with " John " at ATI and he said the same thing. Although he did say that if Swarr said it needed to be calibrated then it probably should.
I just don't get it. Red Hill ford mechanic said that they only deal with stock units and if my " stock " car needed a new Maf then no, it wouldn't need to be calibrated.
That same rule should apply to a 90mm as well, you'd think.
Didn't the 03/04 Ford Lightnings come with a 90mm Maf. and if so, replacing that " stock " Maf would be as simple as replacing the stock Maf on any car, ergo, no need for any recalibration.
Your logic is correct... I am just a fan of checking things just to make sure.

a slight difference in air mass calculation by the MAF will be trimmed out under closed loop operation, so I doubt you have much to worry about.

As Cliffy stated you have more than just a MAF issue, don't expect to replace the MAF and have everything go back to normal.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

Yeah... Like I said, I'm going to data log my car this weekend to see if I'm about .80 to 1 volts on the Maf. If I do have to buy a new Maf and have it recal'ed, my worry is my engine. With a helicoil in #3 cylinder and 66,...... miles on it, I'm afraid of blowing up my DD on the dyno. Kinda like I was when I had the thing dyno tuned.
I know this sound unprofessional but my current dyno tune was lost. I would have to go through another dyno tune ( at Swarr expense ) to recal a simple Maf change.
I hope my POS 4.6 doesn't explode on the dyno. I think I will video record it this time.
Wouldn't that make a great youtube video for the importers to bad mouth.

Quick Reply: MAF Question.