4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

paint ? for those who have changed bumpers or hoods.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Default paint ? for those who have changed bumpers or hoods.

I want a cobra bumper and I'm undecided on what hood. I have been told that since my car is laser red and 10yrs old I would have to get most of the car painted (roof, fenders, pillars. etc) for it to match. He said that it happens more severly on cars that contain color and that black or white cars usually don't need to be matched. Has anyone had to do this?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 PM
stang04chris
2nd Gear Member

I have a laser red gt, I have a mach2 hood, cobra r bumper, and justed orders a new 04 termi bumper to replace the cobra r, its an 04 and has been taken care of so I didn't have to paint the rest of the car, but I have seen my fair share of laser reds that are faded like crazy, seems like lazer red fades worse than anyrhing else
Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang04chris
I have a laser red gt, I have a mach2 hood, cobra r bumper, and justed orders a new 04 termi bumper to replace the cobra r, its an 04 and has been taken care of so I didn't have to paint the rest of the car, but I have seen my fair share of laser reds that are faded like crazy, seems like lazer red fades worse than anyrhing else
Thats was what I was afraid of, my car has been well taken care of since I had it (waxed, clay bar, garage kept, etc), but I don't know how it was kept the first 6 years of it's life. It dosen't appear to be faded but I haven't had it next to a fresh laser red either so it's almost impossible to tell with the naked eye unless u have an extreme case of fading. Maybe if I buy some touch up paint and dab a bit on some questionable areas it may give me a clue as if my paint is noticably faded or not.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 PM
stang04chris
2nd Gear Member

the only thing with touch up is it wont have the cear coat in it, so it will be a little off, also the paint shop should be able to tell if the car is faded that much that it wouldnt match
Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

don't see why roof needs to be repainted and same goes with everything else, couldn't the painter just blend the hood to the fenders?

then again i am no pro in body work, but that is what I have been told when I was getting quotes on getting my bumper painted.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:17 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

I see, the guy I talked to over the phone told me that the bumper and hood would stand out because the front of the car would be off even if he blended the fenders because the pillars are next to the fenders and the pilars reach to the sides of the roof. He said that blending wouldn't fix the difference, but then again maybe he was just trying to get more money or something since he said he as done a lot of stangs with my body style. I thought it was strange but I have never taken a car to get parts painted before so I thought I'd better ask someone who has.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Any good body shop knows that the faded look is do to the sun beating on the clear coat and can be wet sanded out. If they tell you different find a different shop.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Any good body shop knows that the faded look is do to the sun beating on the clear coat and can be wet sanded out. If they tell you different find a different shop.
OIC! I talked that shop because they were close, I didn't really call around. That is great to know, now I'm pretty sure he tried to hustle me. Thanks for the info people!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 PM
mustangman281
Banned

I have a buddy that paints. He had this ricer come in and beg to be sponsored by him and give him a cheap paint job. My buddy hates ricers so he charged him $1500 to paint the entire car. He painted his ricer bumper and wet sanded the rest of the car and made a $1300 profit off him.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
I have a buddy that paints. He had this ricer come in and beg to be sponsored by him and give him a cheap paint job. My buddy hates ricers so he charged him $1500 to paint the entire car. He painted his ricer bumper and wet sanded the rest of the car and made a $1300 profit off him.
LOL, thats mean and actually very intelligent at the same time.

Quick Reply: paint ? for those who have changed bumpers or hoods.