4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gear whine (HALP!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default Gear whine (HALP!)

I had my FRPP 4.10s installed some time last year and I don't remember them making much noise, if any at all. Now, the gear whine is pretty damn loud. The loud howling sound that I hear when I'm under zero load/decelerating is sometimes borderline unbearable (maybe exaggerating a little), depending on how fast I'm going and what gear I'm in. The guy who installed them is supposedly good at installing gears and has done it for many cars but I think it didn't go so well with mine.

I was thinking of taking them to Richmond Ford to have them take a look at the install because they have a Ford Racing shop there or whatever you want to call it.

Should I?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:03 AM
coolbreezex82x

Your gear might be fine, it's your rear bearings i think might have gone out. One of the two. That's if the noise is comming from the rear. I could be wrong,just an opinion either way you should check it out.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

See, what really pisses me off is that I provided them with a master bearing kit to use but he said it was of no use because everything was OK down there. It sounds like it's coming from right beneath me, towards the rear.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:52 AM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slicktastyk Matt
I provided them with a master bearing kit to use but he said it was of no use because everything was OK down there.
There's your problem. The main reasons for gear whine are either a bad install or off brand gears. Either of which would have whined immediately not a year or so later. Something has worn out.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

If it is indeed a gear whine, then its like a high pitch howling sort of sound and it will usually happen near 45-55mph and under load....if it sounds like its more of a growl or rumbling, especially off load, then its a probably a bad bearing. Bad bearing = not so bad.. Try to have the noise properly diagnosed before you go condemning the ring/pinion..
Old 06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

It is definitely a howling but I only get it when I'm decelerating. Unless I get it when accelerating but just can't tell because of the exhaust or something.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

most the time whine on decel is a bad pinion bearing.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Are the bearings easy to swap out? I don't really know my way around the rear end (no pun intended) but if it's something I can figure out I'd rather do it than spend $$$$$$$ at a shop. However if it's a tough task than I'd rather have a shop do it correctly even if it costs me $$$$$$
Old 06-22-2009, 05:42 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

takes breath......... take rear tires off, remove driveshaft, remove brake calipers, remove caliper retainers, remove rotor, loosen vehicle speed sensors and move in about 3/4 of an inch, remove diff cover, remove retaining pin bolt, remove diff pin, push each axle in to remove the c clips, unbolt carrier bearing caps (mark and keep separated per side,shims too), remove pinion nut, pull pinion flange off with puller, pray rear bearing isn't froze to pinion, chisel seal off, tap pinion lose, remove front pinion bearing being carefull not to loose the shim with it, remove pinion, throw away crush sleeve, hammer out old pinion races, hammer new ones in, press old pinion head bearing off (don't lose the shims) press new bearing on with the same shims, check pinion depth (pain in the a$$), install new pinion seal, once depth is set set pinion preload (i think i got like 25 in lbs. with the last one) with new crush sleeve, press bearings off carrier, press new bearings on carrier, install carrier and torque caps, check backlash (last one i set up was .009 i believe) move carrier shims accordingly, put axles back in, reseal diff cover then reassemble the rest of the other stuff like drive shaft and brakes.

Last edited by livefast1; 06-22-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Well... I think the shop will be handling this LOL. Man I can't believe those ****ers didn't use my kit. This will probably cost me another arm and a leg just to have them check out the bearings. FML.

Quick Reply: Gear whine (HALP!)