4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP! Can't get Trans. loose from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 PM
luv2golf

Default HELP! Can't get Trans. loose from Engine

2000, GT 5-speed. We are pulling transmission, we have all bolts out and everything taken off per OEM manuals. Be we can't get the transmission apart from engine. Is it just very hard to brake loose? Am I missing something that isn't in the manuals? The only thing we didn't do was drain the fluid. But I can't see how that would effect anything.

Help Please.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luv2golf
2000, GT 5-speed. We are pulling transmission, we have all bolts out and everything taken off per OEM manuals. Be we can't get the transmission apart from engine. Is it just very hard to brake loose? Am I missing something that isn't in the manuals? The only thing we didn't do was drain the fluid. But I can't see how that would effect anything.

Help Please.
Edit: I had to look some stuff up, but I think the bellhousing is mated to the trans (not like the old t-5 where you remove them seperately). Someone flame me if I'm giving him bad info though...

If you've not skipped any steps and you're just having trouble removing the bell housing from the block, you could tap around the seam with a putty knife lightly, I've done it on bigger stuff (trucks) and it works alright. Just be careful.

Last edited by reznap; 06-22-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:19 PM
luv2golf

Not sure what you mean by mated, but I don't have to separate the bellhousing from trans. I've tried using a screwdriver and prying bellhousing from engine, and it seems stuck. Now I did have some problems getting drive shaft apart as well. Had to tap that with a hammer. I'm starting to think that this car was underwater? All the bolts seem to be rusted or just stuck together.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

You have to be missing a bolt. Did you take those two out at the very bottom that hold the engine to transmission metal gasket? They go into the transmission, which threw me, but they have to come out. Took me an hour of pulling and prying to finally find it. It will separate easy once you have everything disconnected.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM
mustangman281
Banned

You should have a total of 9 bolts in your hand. Sometimes it a bitch to get it off the locator pins.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM
luv2golf

I got those. I didn't pull those till after I tried for awhile. didn't look like they did anything. But still transmission not moving. I'm bout to crawl under again and try a putty knife. I'll let you know something in a few.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

I've seen the bellhousings and block sieze together. If your sure all the bolts are out try a come along around the tranny and rear axle to put pressure on it the start tapping with a hammer and prying a little also. Just be carefull not to break anything. also leave a couple bolts treaded in just a little so when the tranny pops loose it wont fall and break anything, including you.

They can be a bitch. I had to use a six foot bar to pop a silverado tranny apart once. I thought the tranny was going to break but it didn't.

good luck
Old 06-22-2009, 09:50 PM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luv2golf
Not sure what you mean by mated, but I don't have to separate the bellhousing from trans. I've tried using a screwdriver and prying bellhousing from engine, and it seems stuck. Now I did have some problems getting drive shaft apart as well. Had to tap that with a hammer. I'm starting to think that this car was underwater? All the bolts seem to be rusted or just stuck together.
Be sure that the starter is removed. You may want to shoot some WD-40 inside the dowel pin holes. Most engine and bell housing surfaces have two dowel pin holes. This is where you want to place a thin blade like a putty knife. Or if you can afford to modify a butter knife, by sharpening it with a flat but sharp tip, you may be able to get that blade in there. After you have soaked the dowel pin holes with the WD-40, then try the butter knife around the dowel pin hole locations until you get a bit of separation between the bell housing and engine. Perhaps at that point you can then get a screw driver in there. This should be done evenly across the two dowel pin holes. It's also possible that your pilot shaft is stuck inside the pilot bushing, and the spline could be frozen inside your clutch plate. If your engine and trans was under water for a long period of time, this could possibly be the reasons for the transmission being frozen to the engine block. When ever possible, shoot some WD-40 inside your clutch plate spline. With the use of the WD-40 by letting it soak in there over night, it should break free. Did you try removing the bolts on your pressure plate, so it will separate from the flywheel. All these little things could help you get the separation. Good luck, Tommy.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
luv2golf

Thanks guys. I've tried the putty knife for a while and gave up. going to soak the whole thing down with wd-40 and let set overnight. One question, where are the pins located. I don't see the location in the manuals.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM
luv2golf

Another question, the manual says there are 5 bolts holding the bellhousing to engine. 3 on one side and 2 on the starter side. Now in the manual they show pictures of the bellhousing under the disassembly section that has two holes at the very top of the bellhousing. Are there to bolts I'm missing? I can't see how you would get to them if there are any at the very top, but that would surprise me with Ford.

Quick Reply: HELP! Can't get Trans. loose from Engine