4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Confused over Flowmaster customer service

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:28 PM
cobrabullitt

Default Confused over Flowmaster customer service

I was wondering if any of you can help me out. I posted on another thread how I was looking for an exhaust for my car, I first thought about a Magnaflow catback but after watching many videos on YouTube and my cousin's friend letting me ride in his Mustang that has Flowmasters I changed my mind to Flows.

His exhaust setup is this:

Flowmaster American Thunder catback
Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers
MAC o/r Prochamber.

(Many Mustangs on YouTube have that same setup above.)

I contacted Flowmaster to see if I can get that option and the customer rep said the Flowmaster American Thunder catback only comes with 44's not 40's as part of their package for Mustangs. I asked him if I could get the Super 40's as part of the package instead and he said no, so I asked him if I could buy the catback system seperate and the Super 40's seperate and he was confused wondering why I would do that, saying it wasn't a good idea and he never heard anyone doing that and said that I shouldn't use or even buy the Super 40 mufflers to put on the catback system. I also asked him about putting on a MAC H-pipe with it and he said I don't need to do that because there is already a stock H-pipe on the car and an aftermarket one wouldn't make any difference in sound and it won't pass emissions. Then I told him about the MAC Prochamber which isn't an H-pipe or X and he said he never heard of it, and then said it would probably sound louder than a o/r H-pipe. I could just tell and sense that he wouldn't sell me the catback system if I bought the Super 40's too. The guy wasn't knowledgeable on quite a few things and I don't mean to turn this thread into a Flowmaster bashing thread because I really want to put on a Flowmaster catback system with Super 40 mufflers and a MAC Prochamber. I think I can get better more knowledgeable opinions here. Can any of you help me out on this?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM
cobrabullitt

If my cousin's friend and many others can put on the Flowmaster American Thunder catback with Super 40 mufflers and a prochamber or h-pipe then why wouldn't Flowmaster company want me to? The way the customer rep was saying it was like I would do harm/damage to my car if I did that setup and it seemed so alien to him.

There isn't anything wrong with putting on a Flowmaster catback with Super 40 mufflers and a o/r Prochamber or o/r H pipe would there?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:30 PM
1998 GT
2nd Gear Member

flowmaster started putting the newer super 44's as the main muffler on their catback. I personally have the 44's and like them better than super 40's. But if ur set on the 40's just buy the mid-pipe u want and buy weld in super 40's. The only differnce wld be the piping size on the catback.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

No problems with doing that, and it doesn't sound too bad IMO. The other option you have is to buy 40's and have a muffler shop do a custom catback. I do agree, that this rep didn't really know too much outside of flows and his actual knowledge of the systems may be questionable too. And he is wrong with the midpipe, it will def change your sound. When switching to either a hi flow mid or o/r pipe. I would do it all in one shot too, buy the system and the mid and do it all at once. Just makes things easier.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:41 PM
cobrabullitt

Originally Posted by 1998 GT
flowmaster started putting the newer super 44's as the main muffler on their catback. I personally have the 44's and like them better than super 40's. But if ur set on the 40's just buy the mid-pipe u want and buy weld in super 40's. The only differnce wld be the piping size on the catback.
What are the differences in sound between the Super 40's and 44's on the catback system?

Also, so I should just buy the American Thunder catback, Super 40's and MAC Prochamber all seperate and have someone put it together and weld in the 40's?

The sound I'm trying to achieve is a really powerful deep mean rumble boom bass sound with a hint of growl and I was told the Super 40's would be a little deeper and a tad bit more aggressive than the 44's and would give me what I'm looking for?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:50 PM
1998 GT
2nd Gear Member

everything i have heard is that the 44's are the most aggresive and have a deep rumble especially when matched with an o/r midpipe. if u want a deeper tone definately go with an h pipe. You cld just have super 40's or 44's for that matter welded to ur stock catback the pipe is 2.25 stock and the american thunder piping is 2.5. Or u cld do what BlueBloodedPony said and have a shop make a custom cat back. Personally I just had the 44's welded onto my stock cat back, saved money and it sounds great
Old 06-26-2009, 01:52 PM
cobrabullitt

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
No problems with doing that, and it doesn't sound too bad IMO. The other option you have is to buy 40's and have a muffler shop do a custom catback. I do agree, that this rep didn't really know too much outside of flows and his actual knowledge of the systems may be questionable too. And he is wrong with the midpipe, it will def change your sound. When switching to either a hi flow mid or o/r pipe. I would do it all in one shot too, buy the system and the mid and do it all at once. Just makes things easier.
Thanks for the clarification. I was going for a Magnaflow catback sound but really like the Flowmaster catback with o/r H-pipe or Prochamber combo better.

Catback with prochamber:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKIUI_Ir_8

Catback with Super 40's, no cats H pipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJbK...e=channel_page
Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 AM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

cobrabullitt, buy the American Thunder Catback as it is with the super 44's, the ysound awesome my buddy has them on his 5.0, if you do not like them you can take them out and sell thema dn buy the super 40s and get those welded in, as for the o/r h pipe, the guy from flowmaster was telling you that because it is probably against the law where you or he is from to run no cats, but 60+% of the mustangs out there run no cats u just put the stock h back on for emissions....so he had no idea what he was talking about....so buy a o/r h or prochamber put it on, and buy the American Thunder catback the way it is, i thikn you will actuall ylike the 44's better but who nos......the 44's are more agressive than the 40's just so you know, idk who told you the other way around...hope that helps, the guy was an idiot and that set up will work fine for your car. good luck dude
Old 06-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

the guy was probably an older guy who was trying to keep you "50 state emissions legal". Problem is many people dont care about any of that. To be able to deal with people these days and provide good advice he needs to get with the times and realize that stock is not always best. Working for and aftermarket exhaust company, he should know that. They should fire that old man...