4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

COP Information

Old 07-19-2009, 04:47 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

My bad I meant VMM typo i blame the computer
Old 09-13-2009, 10:27 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

An inductive timing light will pick up a spark, not saying it is a good spark but it is an easy way to find the bad cop. I have had several bad cop's and NEVER have gotten a code! What then? I have a stutter/misfire now that could be the need for a dyno tune but do not want to get to the dyno with a bad coil. Could bring a couple of good ones. THX for the info.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by sweet99
An inductive timing light will pick up a spark, not saying it is a good spark but it is an easy way to find the bad cop. I have had several bad cop's and NEVER have gotten a code! What then? I have a stutter/misfire now that could be the need for a dyno tune but do not want to get to the dyno with a bad coil. Could bring a couple of good ones. THX for the info.
Likewise--as stated above, I had three 30k "old" Accel COPs fail over a 1-1/2 week period--when one of them blew I drove over 50 miles running on 7 cylinders without throwing a code...
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Most time when i get a code for a coil pack its either the wiring or the pcm or it has been for the past few i have done anyways. Most times its just a misfire code.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:22 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

NOTE: See my followup (8/1/2012) post at the end of this topic for my final WeaponX COP results and position!!!

I at last got a set of WeaponX COPs, in part because it was a a price I could not ignore, and in part because I found their design and arguments for same compelling.

Most of you have read my rants re: after market COPs ("a spark-is-a-spark"), however hopefully you will remember I also stated the Weapon X units to be the only ones that represented any change, and perhaps offered some improvement from the OEM profile units made by MicroTech--for Ford and anyone else that has a favourite color and would like to see their name on a COP--well, I have to tell you I am impressed...

That said, one thing to get out of the way right up-front is that if you are looking for under hood colour or "bling" look elsewhere--once installed the Weapon X COPs are barely noticeable:

However even when I just started the engine after installing them they were quite noticeable. The engine started with immediately and idled smoother than it ever has, and in a quick trip around the block the exhaust tone was quite changed--more distinct and staccato as though things were working better.

Today I took it out on SR-305 (a nice dead straight 3 mile run in the middle of nowhere) a few miles from here and did some "0-60" and "1/4 mile" runs using my trusty old G-Tech Pro. The results were consistently 0.5% to 1.2% faster (this may not sound like much, but it's 0.07 to 0.15s in a 12.9 1/4 mile) than anything I had previously seen (the G-Tech Pro and SR305 are my baselines), which surprised the crap out of me--AKA the "spark-is-a-spark" COP skeptic.

It would seem that the the arguments they make are valid, I will post more about this (like the fuel economy claims) later, however for now I am very impressed--and I don't get that way easily!

They are not cheap*--coming in at $50 to $200 more (depending on where and what you buy) than the OEM look-a-like units. However my initial impression is that they blown the other out of the water, if I was running any sort of power adder they would be "must have"--even n/a if yoiu can swing the cost you will not be disappointed...

-----------------------------------------------------
* - An unfortunate fact of life is that if you buy the cheapest there is, there is a good chance you will end up with the cheapest there is...

[edit date=11/05/2010]

Because of overheating problems (I burned up two sets of the Weapon X COPs in this summer's Florida heat) I can not recommend these coils. The manufacturer worked closely with me to diagnose the problem (too much heat being passed in to the COP because of its being inserted down into the plug well), and provided me with a replacement set--however that set also burned up in less than 2k miles, misfiring and failing to fire at all (no start) because of heat soak after a short stop, after a long run. I had to let them cool for 30+ minutes before the engine would start.

Reinstalling the stock COPs immediately corrected the problem, the WX COPs (both sets) all had that familiar burnt insulation smell when removed.

I was advised they were working on improving the design and insulation, however I have had no further communication from them in a couple months.

NOT recommended at this time!

[/edit]

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-01-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Follow-up
Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 AM
ledee416

the dyno sheet on the xcoils only shows hp and torque gains above 6000 rpm. Dont get me wrong, that is still cool, but for the everyday driving range there doesnt appear to be a difference at all.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

What dyno sheet are you referring to?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM
DukeStreetKing

Default Replace single COPs as needed or all 8 at once?

So is acceptable to replace a single COP as needed or should they all be replaced as a set?

I have seven stock COPs with 113,600 miles on them and one brand new Accel COP that I just replaced yesterday because of a cylinder 7 misfire. I replaced all the spark plugs yesterday also.

Thanks for all the great information on this site!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

There's no rule that says you have to replace them all. In my experience though, they are like popcorn... Once one pops, the others aren't far behind.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 PM
03_mach_won

Could hesitation under load be a cop issue? This is a 2003 Mach 1 with upr o/r x pipe. when i first purchased the car it was literally running on 6 cylinders. When i replaced the spark plugs 80% of the power came back, but it still hesitates under load especially when the car has been running for a while. I had the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, fpr, fuel pump, maf sensor replaced... still no results.

Last edited by 03_mach_won; 07-07-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: COP Information