4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mysterious Squeeking, Front Suspension help

Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default Mysterious Squeeking, Front Suspension help

Well, my front has developed a mysterious squeeking. Bumps in the road does not trigger it, if I go faster than 15 I don't hear or feel it. I'm pretty sure it's not the coilovers as I've checked those, the brakes were checked by a friends shop. The main time I hear/feel it is when I'm coasting to a stop with the clutch in and foot resting on the brakes. The other time is when I'm taking off from a dead stop.

Other thing that accompanies the squeek/rubbing noise is the feeling I get through the clutch/brake/floor pan feels like I'm driving on a bumpy road, regardless of how smooth it is. When I'm going over a larger bump there is no sound.

Also (sorry to be long winded, I'm just trying to get as much info in as poss) there was a knock sound from the front driver side where the coilover is, sounded like the spring caught something then rebounded hard against the strut tower. Upon inspection there was nothing indicating such a thing occured.

Last thing that was done to the car was an oil change, 4 wheel alignment, and the thing before that was my friends shop helped me swap the bushings for polyurethane ones, install adjustable tie rod, and endlinks.

I wanna know what this possibly could be and if it'll be something that will prevent me from making the drive down to LA.

The car has MM HD Bilsteins coilovers all around, MM full lengthsubframe connectors, MM IRS Polyurethane bushings, MM IRS adjustable tie-rods, and MM IRS toe links.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

Has this happened just the one time or is it continual thing?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShinobiOfLegends
Has this happened just the one time or is it continual thing?
It's a continuous thing now.

An update on the noise, it's more of creaking with a slight pop feeling/sound. Doesn't make anysound or pop or anything within the first few blocks, then the creaking starts when I'm coming to a stop + coming from a stop.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

hmmmmmmm.... if it was me, i'd put the car up on jack stands or a lift and check the work that was recently done, assuming it didn't do it prior to the work. Did you check coils for stress marks in its finish? Put the front up in the air so that the front suspension will drop and see if there's any movement of the coilovers at the tower.

I have seen bushing that weren't pressed in all the way and would try to move under acceleration or moderate to heavy braking but weren't noticeable until turning and driving due to the other vibrations/sensations of the car.

Also, have you checked the steering arms, linkage, and mounts? Because of upgrading the mounts, ties rods, and links you may have unknowingly adversely affected you front end geometry.

Hope this helps man. Let me know your results and I'll see if I can can help some more. And as far as preventing your drive to L.A., we won't know until we can determine the problem, now will we?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:43 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

i have the same noise, its a bad shock. i just havent had the oppurtuninty to drop the dough to replace it.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

/* off topic

what is your car color?

and do you have more pics of your car?

/* off topic
Old 06-30-2009, 04:56 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 0949er
/* off topic

what is your car color?

/* off topic
Was that directed to me or the OP?

If by chance it was to me, Atlantic Blue, color code K6. And yes, theres photos in my profile on here.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShinobiOfLegends
hmmmmmmm.... if it was me, i'd put the car up on jack stands or a lift and check the work that was recently done, assuming it didn't do it prior to the work. Did you check coils for stress marks in its finish? Put the front up in the air so that the front suspension will drop and see if there's any movement of the coilovers at the tower.

I have seen bushing that weren't pressed in all the way and would try to move under acceleration or moderate to heavy braking but weren't noticeable until turning and driving due to the other vibrations/sensations of the car.

Also, have you checked the steering arms, linkage, and mounts? Because of upgrading the mounts, ties rods, and links you may have unknowingly adversely affected you front end geometry.

Hope this helps man. Let me know your results and I'll see if I can can help some more. And as far as preventing your drive to L.A., we won't know until we can determine the problem, now will we?
There was no work done to the front other than an alignment, as far as alignment goes, I'm at +5 cast -1 camber 0.1 toe. The bushing/tie rod/toe links were for the IRS. I've checked the coilovers, the coils have paint scraped from them, but it was from when my springs became unseated off the coilover perch a year ago. I've been told to check for a blown a arm bushing, so I will take a look at that, alignment on the car was rechecked after a the noises started and alignment stayed the same so I'm not sure what to make of it.

The front end of the car is completely stock other than hd bilstein coilovers, hyper coil coilover springs, and mm caster/camber plates.

Originally Posted by devongarver
i have the same noise, its a bad shock. i just havent had the oppurtuninty to drop the dough to replace it..
The struts are good, I've tested them and they rebound just fine.

Originally Posted by 0949er
/* off topic

what is your car color?

/* off topic
If you're asking about mine, I'll start a thread in discussion later on for ya, but it's Redfire (G2).

Last edited by Aereon; 06-30-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

Usually a bushing issue will cause your alignment angles to adjust....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mysterious Squeeking, Front Suspension help