4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tranny cooler help needed now!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 PM
moorzpheen

Unhappy Tranny cooler help needed now!!

Hey everyone...,
I took my car to the shop today cause I'm getting a "milkshake" looking fluid coming out of my radiator. This problem has been going on for a while now.
I replaced the radiator and had the tranny rebuilt about 6 months ago but I'm still getting this "milkshake" crap. I took it to the shop & they told me that my tranny oil cooler was busted & thats why I have "milkshake". Does this make since with a new radiator?
If the radiator is fine but the tranny cooler is busted can I get a stand alone tranny cooler to fix the problem?
I know I need to have my cooling system & block flushed cause of the "milkshake".
I recently installed a new intake manifold as well. It's one of the new ones with the gaskets built into the manifold. I'm getting a hissing noise from bolt #7 (back of manifold, driver's side). Took the manifold off twice & reinstalled it but still getting a vacuum leak. Could this be why I'm getting "milkshake" in my cooling system? Bad manifolds???
If I have the shop fix the manifold problem would the stand alone tranny cooler fix my overheating, "milkshake" problem?
I need help bad!!!
I don't want to get rid of the car but at this point I've put a lot of money into her & don't know how much more I can put into it.
I'm really lost at this point so any help would be greatly appreciated....
Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Since you seem in a hurry: bottom line- a milkshake is either coolant and oil, or ATF and coolant. If you're transmission cooling lines run to the side of your radiator- than it is possible for it to leak into the coolant. It is also possible that you have a coolant leak from the intake manifold. The vacuum leak is probably a separate issue, but could lead to a warped intake manifold.

How does the engine oil look?