4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharge or Cobra????

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 AM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

Question Supercharge or Cobra????

Here's my delima...i have a 98 GT convertable with full exhaust, headers, underdrive pulley, and intake. It's just not enough. Two options: Supercharger or sell the car and buy a 98 cobra. I need to know what you guys think??

If I go with the supercharger: my engine has 50K on it so i'm not too concerned about that but my tranny has 150K. Also, i dont 'think my GT supercharged won't hold it's value like a cobra will

If I go with a cobra: I won't have as much power

I also don't know what all needs done to supercharge my car (supporting mods and how much everything will cost.) Is 3-4 grand reasonable to get everything I will need?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:11 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

it's possible to supercharge for 3-4k, but expect to spend more like 5 or 6 by the time it's all said and done. it all depends on whether you can find a good deal on a used supercharger and supporting hardware. i got my kit used for $3k but ended up spending another couple thousand for supporting mods plus tuning.

and if you're worried about a car retaining its value, then you're missing the whole point IMO. a car isn't an investment in the same way as, say, real estate.. you know it's going to depreciate no matter what, and having a supercharger on your car most likely won't increase its resale value much (if at all).
Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

a supercharger will do nothing but decrease the resale value, and as stated above, a car is not an investment. Especially not a mustang. Its a pleasure vehicle. IMO, get a blower, you likely have alot of personal touches done to make your car the way you like it, and you will lose less money in the end by slapping a blower on there. Def. go with a blower. My local shop can do a vortech install for like 4k. Thats with a tune.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:52 AM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

I know a car isn't an investment, that's not what I ment by holding it's value. It was more of a pro vs con type of thought. When/if i would sell, I'd get more out of a cobra than a S/C GT

So you guys wouldn't be worried about the miles i have on my tranny? I'd hate to dump 4 grand into my car just to turn around and have to replace the tranny in another year also
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

trannys can be rebuilt for reasonable cash, and it'll give you a good excuse to upgrade when it breaks.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:12 AM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

the trans should be fine unless ur at every stop light trying to smoke anything that pulls up beside u..or ur at the track every weekend. if u just leave it in drive u should be fine

the 98 cobra isnt going to be any faster than what u have now. id go with the supercharger and be able to walk away from most of the n/a cars on the street.

i walked out the door at 8900 for my supercharger..i went polished with aftercooler on the vortech brand new. installed, tuned, with all bells and whistles
Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

first of all, if your wanting to go faster, having a convertable isnt really helping you much. yes u can go fast with a convertable but it takes more money than a couple does, b/c of the extra weight. sell it and get the cobra, you will have a much better platform to work with. you can find some great deals on 99-01 cobras with similar prices to the 98 cobras.

Originally Posted by 06mustang88
Here's my delima...i have a 98 GT convertable with full exhaust, headers, underdrive pulley, and intake. It's just not enough. Two options: Supercharger or sell the car and buy a 98 cobra. I need to know what you guys think??

If I go with the supercharger: my engine has 50K on it so i'm not too concerned about that but my tranny has 150K. Also, i dont 'think my GT supercharged won't hold it's value like a cobra will

If I go with a cobra: I won't have as much power

I also don't know what all needs done to supercharge my car (supporting mods and how much everything will cost.) Is 3-4 grand reasonable to get everything I will need?
since when is a cobra slower than a 230rwhp GT???? not to mention the ability of the cobra vs the npi GT. lets not forget its a vert so that doesnt help in his dilemma either.

Originally Posted by grogan
the trans should be fine unless ur at every stop light trying to smoke anything that pulls up beside u..or ur at the track every weekend. if u just leave it in drive u should be fine

the 98 cobra isnt going to be any faster than what u have now. id go with the supercharger and be able to walk away from most of the n/a cars on the street.

i walked out the door at 8900 for my supercharger..i went polished with aftercooler on the vortech brand new. installed, tuned, with all bells and whistles

BOTTOM LINE, SELL IT AND GET A COBRA/MACH. much better platform to start with.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Sell it and go with the cobra, then eventually S/C that!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

It depends on what you want from the car... personally I love SN-95 cobras but I wouldn't make the move unless it was an 03-04. There aren't enough differences between the SN-95 cobra and GT to really justify the change for me.

Now another mode of thought, you don't really have a lot invested in the GT at this point... If it's paid off, sell it and start with the cobra. Might not have as much power now (compared to a s/c GT), but it's a better starting block.