4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Turning off airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

Default Turning off airbag?

Does anyone know of a way to turn there passanger airbag off so a kid can ride up front. I'm going camping with my 6 year old and it's a 2 1/2 hr drive. I don't want him to get to bored while driving. My truck used to have a key switch so I could turn it off and on. I would like it if I could wire in a switch so I can shut it off only when needed.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I believe by looking at alldata a dealer can do it. I don't know if they will though. They have a special fuse: RCM fuse F2.36 that I guess acts like a Mil Elim that you plug into the airbag harness. You do need the Ford Scanner though, that is why it is kinda dealer only, here is the procedure none the less.

Warning: The restraint system diagnostic tool is for restraint system service only. Remove from vehicle prior to road use. Failure to remove could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.
1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
3. At the central junction box (CJB), located below the LH side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse F2.36 (15A) from the CJB. For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.
4. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
5. Turn the ignition OFF.
6. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301) and wait at least one minute.
7. Remove the two steering wheel back cover plugs.
8. Remove the two driver air bag module retaining bolts (one shown).
9. Remove the driver air bag module.
o Disconnect the driver air bag module electrical connector.
o Remove the driver air bag module.
10. Attach the restraint system diagnostic tool to the clockspring electrical connector at the top of the steering column.
11. Open the glove compartment, push in on the two tabs and open the glove compartment door to its fullest downward position.
12. Remove the right hand A/C register duct.
o Remove the two screws retaining the duct to the A/C register.
o Separate the A/C duct at the air plenum and remove the duct.
13. Disconnect the passenger air bag module electrical connector.
14. Attach the restraint system diagnostic tool to the vehicle harness side of the passenger air bag module electrical connector.
15. Install the RCM fuse F2.36 (15A) to the CJB.
16. Connect the battery ground cable.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to do something myself just to keep the cost down and the pain of going to the dealer whenever I want it off. I would also be ok with putting a switch inline to disable the airbag even if it puts the light on, on my dash while I have it disable. Would that be safe?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Sell the car, get a minivan.

Ah just kidding. Sorry I don't know how to help I just wanted to be an ***.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:36 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I don't know that it would be safe. Airbags can be very fickle. They can go either way, either they may deploy without warning or may not deploy at all even when they should. I have seen both. It even depends on the how you repair the wires. I had been told that certain materials can slow down transmission of the signals to where the bag may deploy at the wrong time, like after you are already chewing on the dash. I really wouldn't recommend messing with this system at all. You have three options, either you put the kid in the car against your better judgment, use another vehicle, or buy another vehicle. Not trying to sound like a dik, I'm just saying, I really wouldn't touch it.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I hear ya. I wont let him ride up front with the airbag on, I can stick him in the back. I was just hoping there was a way to disable it. It may be worth removing them completely. In the 6 years I had my truck I never once turned the airbag on.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Dude...Come on man. Its a six year old, theres a reason why there is a law that says they shouldn't ride in the front until 11. Its not safe. By him a DS or something he'll get over it.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:24 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ct_white_stang
Dude...Come on man. Its a six year old, theres a reason why there is a law that says they shouldn't ride in the front until 11. Its not safe. By him a DS or something he'll get over it.
It's not a law unless the car has an airbag in MN, at least I haven't heard. I may be a liitle old school still and believe everything is way safer now then when I was a kid. I also believe that the front is not anymore dangerous then the back or adults would also be required to ride in the back whenever possible. If anybody has stats I would love to see them. Plus when I look at my car from the side the rear seat is closer to the rear then the front seat is to the front (the front seat being the center of the car just seems safer).

P.S.
I didn't mean to start anything by this thread I was just hoping to get more bonding in while we drive.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sv650lex
It's not a law unless the car has an airbag in MN, at least I haven't heard. I may be a liitle old school still and believe everything is way safer now then when I was a kid. I also believe that the front is not anymore dangerous then the back or adults would also be required to ride in the back whenever possible. If anybody has stats I would love to see them. Plus when I look at my car from the side the rear seat is closer to the rear then the front seat is to the front (the front seat being the center of the car just seems safer).

P.S.
I didn't mean to start anything by this thread I was just hoping to get more bonding in while we drive.
Think about it this way....a lifetime of bonding or 2 hours if something happens...not worth it chief. We just started letting our kids ride in the front, they are 11 and 13.

Heres a direct quote from the attached link below.

QUOTE:"We know that, overall, children seated in the front seat are 40 percent more likely to sustain serious injuries in a crash than are children who sit in the rear seat of vehicles," said Dr. Winston.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...back_seat.html

And this one:

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/relea...ory.php?id=926

Last edited by ct_white_stang; 07-08-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

Wow that was a lot of numbers j/k. That is some good info. Like I say I wasn't trying to start anything and there are a lot of good points in there. I'll keep him in the back for now.

Quick Reply: Turning off airbag?