4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

noise when clutch pedal not depressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Question noise when clutch pedal not depressed

2000 gt makes chirping noise when clutch pedal not depressed. If I even lean my foot against the pedal it goes away. I believe it is the throwout bearing. Clutch kit is all new including flywheel and throwout bearing. Only 2000 miles. Can I leave this be or am I a ticking time bomb to get stuck?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

If its a new clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing why do you think its the throwout bearing? I wouldn't think it already went bad after 2K miles, no?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

you maybe correct, bearing is turning all the time, depressing the pedal just a little adds a little load to the bearing which can change its sound. I acutally modified mine to have the bearing not touching when the clutch was disengaged to add life to the throw out bearing.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

it's likely the throwout bearing. when i put my new clutch kit in, the throwout bearing made noise from the first startup. mine makes sort of a light "clacking" sound (best way i can describe it) without my foot on the clutch pedal, and it's the worst when i just have my foot sitting on the pedal slightly (not putting any pressure, just resting my foot on it). when i press the pedal in, all noises go away completely.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

so do you guys think I should judt let it be???
Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
redstang97

Id bet money its the T.0 bearing. It will get worse quickly, thats what mine did.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 AM
02STALKERGT
2nd Gear Member

I had the same throw-out bearing noise so I had the clutch replaced with a Spec Stage 3. Same noise came back, thought it was a bad Spec TO-bearing. So I replaced it myself and saw that the input shaft was slightly worn away where the TO-bearing rides, probably from the original being bad.

I need a new input shaft in my tranny and putting in a different clutch, probably Spec Stage 2. I dont like the Stage 3 for smooth driveability.

I wouldnt let it go long without fixing it.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i had 2 to tob's go bad in 10k miles both oem. replaced my clutch with a spec kit and have not had any problems since.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

ive had the same noise your talking about now for about 30,000 miles and its not gotten any worse. you should be fine. if for some reason the noise gets louder get it checked out
Old 08-25-2009, 08:42 PM
quickstyle

i dont usually post on here, i just use the search for mustang specific stuff when im working on a mustang in my shop. thought i'd give a little insight on this issue.

if it makes noise only when the clutch pedal is depressed but stops when you push the clutch in, the t.o. bearing is fine, it caused by the intermittent touching of the pressure plate forks with a slight chance of the t.o. bearing guide worn. what i do when installing clutch is put some grease on the t.o. bearing, the part that touches the pressure plate forks, also some on the t.o. bearing guide.

if it makes noise when the clutch is pushed in, that means the t.o. bearing is bad.

this websites been a great help to me, just thought i'd give a little back to the community, just don't tell the guys on the camaro forums, they'd get all pissy cause camaro and mustang guys aren't supposed to get along.

Quick Reply: noise when clutch pedal not depressed