4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need some knowledgable UCA/LCA help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Those don't have a sway bar mount either

It is also funny that the page says:

"...The fluted polyurethane bushed ends are mounted onto the chassis (floor) mount to absorb road noise. These combo ended LCAs will still wipe out most bind, yet keep the noise increase minimal for a street driven car."

If you look at the arm, one can see the spherical end is on the chassis end NOT the axle side. Not sure why the description does not fit the part pictured.

Jazzer
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oh yeah thats true....**** I am so screwed....UPR then
Old 07-18-2009, 12:27 AM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone ever tried out Steeda's aluminum LCAs?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ I don't see anything I would use from Steeda in the LCA dept.

Jazzer
Old 07-18-2009, 08:07 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Umm ok...so after doing some more reading and thinking I realized that I don't really wanna risk going with UPR.

I am looking at the one you refered me to Jazzer:

http://www.griggsracing.com/product_...products_id=84

They seem to be good and I can just about look over the price. It says it has only one solid end, is that really all I need? Cause I wanna go ***** out on the launch so I need something to hold up well.

Also, do you know if it is a bolt on part or will I need to make modifications to the chassis and what not?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I realize the price is higher, but you will get what you pay for in these arms. It is a direct bolt-on part and WILL hold up under the heaviest abuse you can ever send its way

The chassis will not need any mods and recommend you adjust the LCA to be the same length as the one you remove. Just measure from center to center of your existing arms mounting holes and make the Griggs one the same. Expect some additional road noise once installed and can follow ***THIS*** thread for someone else who just installed these same arms. Seems to me the lower ISO wouldn't fit the Griggs LCA, so he just didn't install one. This would be fine to do, but can ask Griggs about this during time of order.

Jazzer

EDIT: Yes... you only need one solid end and is on the torque-box side of LCA

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 07-18-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:40 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ You are correct, I don't recommend as much as I used to, but don't be nervous

I like UPR, just heard of some pepes having problems with their stuff on HEAVY 1/4 mile use. Until reciently, was unaware that Griggs made a poly/spherical LCA for a stock spring location, so recommend what I run on my own ride (I run CO's all around, so I have the above LCA's).

All too often pepes end up going to the track at some point and eventually run a set of DR's out back. Griggs stuff is much more expensive than UPR, but also more heavy duty, as it is designed for race cars. I think it would take LOTS of abuse to damage any aftermarket LCA/UCA, but one only hears the negative stories about a product. I am sure there are Griggs LCA's that have failed, but have never heard of one. With that said, I did brake a Griggs front sway bar due to a defect in weld. Sometimes, sheet happens.
If I had not gone full Griggs GR-40 on my ride, I'd have gone UPR

Jazzer
OIC! Thanks for clearing that up. Now my next and hopefully finall question is I have the adj UCA's/LCA's waitiing for a good day to install. With the horrible streets of Chicago should a get a new set of quad shocks too, or should I drive without them? Would a new set give me more predictable handling on the uneven roads or are the control arms good enough that I won't need them.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:41 PM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

Jazzer why not the steeda ones? they look almost just like the ones from page one you posted. no?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Marcus... just remove the quads completely

Once you upgrade the LCA's, they are no longer necessary. I would expect your car "might" actually ride a bit smoother without them...

May be a bit of a trade-off running a stiffer set of LCA's/UCA's, but the quads will resist articulation, to a degree, so rear-end will move a bit more freely. Jazzer says.... toss 'em

rman... I don't like the Steeda ones as they are poly/poly and will fight articulation (one wheel up in well, the other wheel down and out). Take a close look at the Griggs ones above and note the spherical end on it. That spherical end will allow the LCA to "roll" latterally or length-wise as the body of car rolls during a high-speed corner or one wheel hits a bump or pot-hole in the road. Have you ever gotten sideways in your ride only to find the rear-end violently snaps back and yanks the wheel out of your hands? This is oft referred to as snap-oversteer and can be seen in the vid below:

Snap oversteer

Jazzer