4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Modular Engine Swaps for Classic Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:02 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
I give realistic advice based on my experience
Is that how you think saying "that's a horrible and dumb idea" gets interpreted? You don't have to tell everyone what they want to hear. That isn't what I said and that isn't the point of this site. But, if you can't even bother to justify your statement with facts or experience, or even state your opinion without insulting the person, all you're doing is being a jerk.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Putting a modern power plant in old muscle is something for someone that's a little more than novice but If someone goes slow even a car newb can do it.

Think about it, what really needs to be changed: If you're talking about a 60's mustang then you'll need to change the front steering and suspension (which they make complete kits for that. Which even comes with new inner fenders.) Power Pack, complete wiring harnesses. If you want to modify and custom fabricate new gauges into the old car that'll be a little more tricky BUT doable. If you want to use the old gauges, then modify the trans for mechanical speedo (Depending on the trans that can be easy) then the oil pressure and the rest of the old school gauges look right at home in the old cars.

I wont say it's the easiest thing in the world to do but it's not that hard.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:15 AM
HEAVYMETALMATT
2nd Gear Member

Sounds great to me. You can, with a little fabrication, get complete foxbody suspension into a early stang. Griggs actually has a kit to do it, so you wouldn't even have to worry about mounts or the other bothersome details.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:12 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

You should be posting this in the Classic section of this forum. There are guys over there that do new swaps all the time, I'm sure some one there has done a modular swap.

That is the place to get your info, not in this section, they can help you out better.

My wife and I are looking into getting a '65 and putting a '95 5.0 engine with GT 40 heads and Cobra R intake that is coming with the car so I'm learning all I can and what is needed to do to do the swap.
Don't let someone tell you it is a dumb idea, the older cars run much better with the new technology.
If you were going to do this with a Boss car or a Cobra Jet car, then yes, I would say it was dumb, but in your case, go for it.

Lynn
Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Putting a modern power plant in old muscle is something for someone that's a little more than novice but If someone goes slow even a car newb can do it.

Think about it, what really needs to be changed: If you're talking about a 60's mustang then you'll need to change the front steering and suspension (which they make complete kits for that. Which even comes with new inner fenders.) Power Pack, complete wiring harnesses. If you want to modify and custom fabricate new gauges into the old car that'll be a little more tricky BUT doable. If you want to use the old gauges, then modify the trans for mechanical speedo (Depending on the trans that can be easy) then the oil pressure and the rest of the old school gauges look right at home in the old cars.

I wont say it's the easiest thing in the world to do but it's not that hard.
I don't know about a modular swap in a classic but to put a 5.0 in it is best to get a car that is '83-95 and grab everything from the engine to the computer, to the wiring harness and all it's sensors, fuel tank, fuel lines, pump etc so the same may follow true with a modular swap.
There are NO suspension or steering mods needed at least for a 5.0 swap, the classics parts will work fine, you just need to change the oil pan to fit the cross member. You do have to get different motor mounts and some have used '03-'04 Mach 1 tranny mounts for various applications.
It's not hard, but ask around, the guys over in the classic section know there stuff.

Lynn
Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

Try to google it. I read an article about it awhile ago. It actually isn't too hard, my neighbor is in the process of doing that except he is swapping in a 5.0, but most likely you should be able to find all the parts you need to do the swap if you speak to a knowledgable performance shop or a guy who does restorations.