4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

So if it isn't the PCV valve, what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:56 PM
GreyGhost04
2nd Gear Member

Default So if it isn't the PCV valve, what is it?

So the olle CEL came on and when I went down to Autozone to have it checked out it told me it would be one of the following things: A. Missfire on Bank 1, B. Vacuum leak on bank 1, C. General Mechanical issue, D. No idea but something just aint right. (ok the last one was a joke). So the first thing I did was check to see if there was any vacuum leaks by spraying some carb cleaner to see if my engine revved higher at all. No leaks. However, the hose that goes from my PCV valve to my intake plenum was completely clamped shut from sucking air (only clamps down when the engine is running). I for sure thought it was a bad PCV valve so I went and purchased a new motorcraft one. I even replaced the hose that connected the PCV valve to the intake plenum thinking the rubber had broken down. Although it was probably a good idea to replace my PCV valve anyway, that ended up not being the problem. So now I am sitting here scratching my head wondering what the issue is. I have a new PCV valve and new hose but the hose still clamps shut when the engine is running. Anyone know why this would happen or have any advice on what I can do to fix this or where I need to look? Thanks for your help on this!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

that is normal. the hose going from the pcv valve to the intake plenum is hard plastic from the factory. Keeps it from closing shut like the soft rubber hose does. Youll need to find the correct plastic tube that is supposed to be right there. Or else fabricate some type of hose that will work without clamping shut while under vaccum. This is keeping your crankcase from venting pressure and gasses correctly, and at the same time is running the car slightly lean at anything but wide open throttle...
Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What were the codes?

Look them up here to find causes and diagnostic tips.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Bone32
2nd Gear Member

I have this EXACT same problem! I also replaced the PCV Valve and everything.

PLEASE let me know if you find a plastic hose or how you end up fixing it. I'll do the same if I figure something out.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:54 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

get some 1/4 inch copper tubing or steel tubing and use that. =)
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 PM
GreyGhost04
2nd Gear Member

so the OEM part is actually hard plastic? The hose that was on there seemed to be OEM because the rubber was curved funny but it fit perfectly underneath the intake. Part of this is hard plastic but then a part is rubber. Hmmm... I guess I will have to go to the dealer and see if they might have the part in their warehouse. Does anyone else have hard plastic going all the way from the intake plenum to the PCV valve?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM
GreyGhost04
2nd Gear Member

anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:18 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

post a pic of what your setup looks like. also did they tell you what code you had? might be going the wrong way about fixing your car just a thought.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:54 PM
GreyGhost04
2nd Gear Member

P1131.

BBLack of bank1 02 transitions - lean
Explanation
BBECM detected bank 1 02 at its lean limit.
Probable cause
bb1 - Misfire on bank 1
bb2 - Vacuum leak affecting bank 1 only
bb3 - fuel injector problem bank 1
bb4 - engine mechanical condition

Any thoughts?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreyGhost04
P1131.

BBLack of bank1 02 transitions - lean
Explanation
BBECM detected bank 1 02 at its lean limit.
Probable cause
bb1 - Misfire on bank 1
bb2 - Vacuum leak affecting bank 1 only
bb3 - fuel injector problem bank 1
bb4 - engine mechanical condition

Any thoughts?
its lean because the pcv valve isnt working correctly from the soft rubber hose. Instead of the engine sucking vaccum from the crankcase like its supposed to, your hose is clamped shut forcing the engine to suck more air through the intake manifold than normal. The air coming through the intake has much more oxygen in it than the crankcase fumes so it runs lean and trips the codes

Quick Reply: So if it isn't the PCV valve, what is it?