4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

used headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 AM
04 kevinp gt
1st Gear Member

Default used headers

So i found a guy selling his BBK LT headers with a small dent for 100$ he said they are in perfect working condition. Is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks for used headers? He also is selling comp cam springs for 50 and was planning on picking them up as well and saving ~150 for when I put cams in. What do you guys think about buying used parts?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04 kevinp gt
So i found a guy selling his BBK LT headers with a small dent for 100$ he said they are in perfect working condition. Is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks for used headers? He also is selling comp cam springs for 50 and was planning on picking them up as well and saving ~150 for when I put cams in. What do you guys think about buying used parts?
100 bucks for long tubes can't be beat. If the finish is terrible on them you can coat them with something like VHT (whatever is rated super high temp) I think our manifolds/headers will go north of 800 degrees.
Headers aren't exactly something that'll wear out so as long as they're not leaking or warped or anything, put some new gaskets and clean them up and it's just like new parts.

I'm in the market for headers so I'd pick those up if I knew the guy.

Also - the small dent might be there on purpose. BBK headers have an indent to allow clearance for the steering shaft I think.

I can't really say much on the springs.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
04 kevinp gt
1st Gear Member

yeah Im waiting to hear back from the guy...hopin its not too good to be true...thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 09:17 PM
98MustangSTL
3rd Gear Member

I used to have a 98 GT and I bought all new parts. I always insisted on having the best and wanted to make sure that's how it was. Boy was I dumb! I have an 01 GT now and I'm just shopping the used budget route this time.

Get the headers.
Just make sure the dent hasn't punctured...
Reznap is correct about the dent that's made on purpose for the steering shaft to clear.

As far as the springs, I'm almost positive that you can have the springs tested at machine shops to see what they can handle. It's been a while since I've been into the whole car thing (2 years to be exact), but if memory serves me correctly you can have them tested to see if they're what you're looking for. Or have the guy take them to a machine shop and have the that machine shop write on the receipt or something like that.

- Kevin
Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

+1 about the dent on the BBK's! Without it, it won't clear the steering shaft. If the headers are in good shape, then that is a great deal.

Personally i wouldn't by used cam springs (i'm assuming they're used...you didn't specify). If you can have them tested for cheap (if he pays or agrees to pay you if they don't pass) before buying them, then maybe...but only then!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Check the flanges with a straight edge! I always seem to have the worst problems with used parts! I got mil eliminators on here that don't work and a mid pipe that didn't include the sleeve for the drivers side manifold and was beat to hell.....be carefull. If you can afford new then by all means just do it!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 AM
00perfredgt
1st Gear Member

THe headers sound like a bargain. I'd pass on the springs, unless I had firsthand knowledge of the car they came out of.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00perfredgt
THe headers sound like a bargain. I'd pass on the springs, unless I had firsthand knowledge of the car they came out of.
Yeah, 100 bucks for a set of pipes that cost $450 brand new...

If you decide not to buy pass along the info I'll take them
Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 PM
04 kevinp gt
1st Gear Member

this turned out to be a bust :-/...guy was just trying to sell them to someone who had no idea what they should look like....these things were beat to s##t. Knew it was too good to be true
Old 07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

grab em !!!

EDIT:..... or tell me where they are !!

Last edited by CAMDUP; 07-23-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: used headers